Virtuoso status

tony bologna

Nov 13, 2002
loserville VA
Visit site
Does anyone here know how long and how often Michael Romeo practiced to get unattainable guitar hero status? I started practicing super long today, I could barely keep it up for 2 hours, playing the damnation game solo and sea of lies tapping over and over and over. Then I watched the guitar chapter and he pulls it off with super ease.

My goal is to play for at least 6 hours straight. Slowly working up speed and limiting string noise.

and who said you have to be able to play 1000000000 notes/second to be a guitar hero? I concider Dave Gilmour to be a guitar hero and he doesn't play fast.

If you want to try doing Steve Vai's 10 hour guitar workout all the way through I'm sure that would step up your playing a few notches! I haven't seen of it, only heard of it.

I'm actually finding that doing short (90 min) as opposed to super long (3-6 hour) sessions very intesely to The Guitar Chapter has improved my ability. Not just in new stuff learned, but I can hit the old stuff with ease, and improvise better.

It's not aboutr practising for 6 hours straight, it's about practising 6 hours altogether! The hands get tired, and then the result isn't as good as if you have practised for 6 x 1 hour a day.

Originally posted by mark_bwaite
If you want to try doing Steve Vai's 10 hour guitar workout all the way through I'm sure that would step up your playing a few notches! I haven't seen of it, only heard of it.

Damn you beat me to it Mark!

Yeah, I think there's some book or something. My friend's guitar teacher who's amazing (apparently) tried doing it, and could only do 5 hours.

Personally, I don't think that this could make you better. I mean, sure the excercises might be helpful to you, but what's the point in just sitting there for 10 hours burning yourself out? It's better to spread it out. Maybe a couple hours (at the most) at one time.

Go figure.

People people, learning to play like these people takes up YEARS of studying, dedication, practice and most important of all, dicipline. Sure you might play their solos, but you'll never have their experience. Just be dedicated, and patient. Rushing things will never lead to anything.

I think that the most important thing is to make a practice schedule and keep to it. If you can only practice 3 days a week, that's fine, but make sure that you never miss a practice - and that your practice sessions are worthwhile. You can make sure your practice sessions are worthwhile by crafting a lesson plan the day before each practice. Nothing major here, just a list of the things you want to practice and for how long. For example, I practice scales in every practice session, but change fingerings, patterns, tempos, etc. The night before each practice I write down (or at least think about) what fingerings, patterns, and tempos I will work on the next day. By doing this planning you will ensure that you are getting the most out of your practice sessions, and not just playing around or trying to figure out what to work on. Another idea is to study theory separately from practicing technique, as they are completely different things using completely different skills and capabilities.

Finally, don't get discouraged if you can't play as fast as Romeo or Petrucci or Gilbert, etc. They have been playing and practicing for years. Just keep to your schedule, track your progress, and soon you'll see some impressive gains.

A little hint: when practicing scales, play them over and over again at very slow tempos using a metronome. this will build endurance and strength in your fingers, will build muscle memory of the patterns your working on, it will greatly improve your picking ability and rhythm, as well as the synchronization between your left and right hands. Not to mention, it will ensure that you can play each note cleanly without string noise. When you can play a scale pattern perfectly, ascending and descending, 10 times straight then you can increase the tempo - but, only by 4-6 beats per minute. Then start the exercise over.

Vai's 10 hour workout from Guitar World is really a three-hour workout repeated 3 times, with an hour of jamming at the end, and he alternated the routine all the time, which is very important.

Once you feel like an exercise has run its course, replace it with something that is challenging and most importantly, is adaptable to a real-lifde playing situation, ie if you have 760 different 4-note-per-string chromatic excercises, but never play 4 nps scales in the real world, you'd be better off using that time to practicing things that are more easily applied to real situations you'll encounter.