VoA drops from Sonata Tour, rips Finberg

Doesn't matter.

Yes and that major "thing" is probably what I mentioned earlier. Sonata's tours are larger, and thus it is more expensive to buy onto the tour.

Another possibility is that Roadrunner had bought Sanctity on as direct support and bumped VoA down to opener status- thus increasing the fee to play for VoA even more and since Napalm is a fairly small label... well.

That is interesting since when you go to the websites of the several venues, it only costs $17.50 to get in. And, that quote comes from Starland Ballroom.

If the ticket price is so low, how much could the buy-in possibly be? However, I kinda agree with you on the Sanctity bit. I think Sanctity was muscled on last minute the way this is all coming out, and VoA was slapped down.

When you issue such a vague statement regarding pulling out of a tour, you are downright asking for speculation/second guessing.

Your so right, the band or the label needs to explain further, although i doubt there will be more.

That is interesting since when you go to the websites of the several venues, it only costs $17.50 to get in. And, that quote comes from Starland Ballroom.

If the ticket price is so low, how much could the buy-in possibly be? However, I kinda agree with you on the Sanctity bit. I think Sanctity was muscled on last minute the way this is all coming out, and VoA was slapped down.

The booking agent doesn't set the price of the tickets... the venues do (unless if it's a special tour with huge name headliners and corporate sponsors that work something out with the venues). Ticket sales don't offset the cost of a tour.

Touring can be expensive (although profitable at the same time if you play your cards correctly). The bigger the tour, the more money you have to pay to get on there.

Anyone who is not directly involved, please don't jump to conclusions about the band
I have been on a tour where the promo, etc was to be handled by that same individual in question..
If the tour were handled or they were treated anything like what the artist i was working for were treated by him... I don't blame them at all
No other comment from me...

The booking agent doesn't set the price of the tickets... the venues do (unless if it's a special tour with huge name headliners and corporate sponsors that work something out with the venues). Ticket sales don't offset the cost of a tour.

Touring can be expensive (although profitable at the same time if you play your cards correctly). The bigger the tour, the more money you have to pay to get on there.

But at ticket prices so low, how expensive could it be to buy on? I do not think that the guarantees are that spectacular to warrant the cheap tix price.

With that, the next question is if the guarantees are so low (At $17.50 a head, I cannot see the guarantees being more than $5-6K for all acts) could SA be charging the openers more to buy on to make a profit? I mean, how would this work, anyways?

But at ticket prices so low, how expensive could it be to buy on? I do not think that the guarantees are that spectacular to warrant the cheap tix price.

With that, the next question is if the guarantees are so low (At $17.50 a head, I cannot see the guarantees being more than $5-6K for all acts) could SA be charging the openers more to buy on to make a profit? I mean, how would this work, anyways?

What are you talking about? Not counting flights (another 5-6 K) the band (or label, depends what kind of deal was worked out) could have easily paid at least $10,000 in order to buy themselves in and with Sanctity added, the tour becomes even more expensive. The ticket prices being "so low" have nothing to do with how the tour is run. Most of the ticket money goes straight to the venue/promoter, and the booking agent might get a small cut if anything. You'll find that not every show on that tour is $17.00, since venues charge whatever they feel is necessary. SA doesn't charge anyone anything. They are the headliner, so therefore they don't have to pay a cent. Tours cost money, so someone has to cover those costs- so the opening bands do (and add to that whatever fee the bands have to pay the booking agent as well since he too has to make money).

That said, Finberg has a reputation of "screwing bands over" on tour for various reasons. However, he books pretty much every major Euro band imaginable from Immortal to Nightwish, so he's a necessary evil.

I mean, how would this work, anyways?

I have no idea of the specifics for this situation.

However, the general rule is that the record label pays the buy-on. That money goes towards the headliners specifically to do with as they please, including just covering their costs (that means lower guarantees, lower ticket prices, and more people at the show in theory). For the opening band, you act as if that money never existed. The opening band is then responsible for all of their own tour expenses. That band may have agreed to do the tour originally based on a guarantee per show. It may not have been possible for the booking agent to get that guarantee after they started booking and had to take less just to get the show (and keep the route/dates on schedule). If that happens, the opening bands are the ones that are going to lose money, not the headliner.

Most of the ticket money goes straight to the venue/promoter, and the booking agent might get a small cut if anything.

All of the ticket sale money goes straight to the promoter/venue. They then pay the guarantee off with that. Anything over the guarantee is split between the promoter and the headliner based on a pre-arranged bonus percentage.

Industry standard for the booking agent's cut is 15% of the guarantee. Obviously, that could be more or less depending on the individual band/agreement.

But in defense of VoA- from her story, basically they were having issues with the promoter. Enough said.

-Metal

Not enough said at all. Each town on each stop of the tour has its own promoter. If you're referring to the booking agent, well that brings everything back to square one since that's what the band had said in their initial statement.

Either way, I suspect it's not VoA's fault that they couldn't do the tour. It generally isn't the band's fault when they drop off a tour in the first place. Either the band/label didn't have enough money to begin with, or the addition of Sanctity somehow affected their cancellation.

Each town on each stop of the tour has its own promoter. If you're referring to the booking agent, well that brings everything back to square one since that's what the band had said in their initial statement.

True. My fault as I generally use booking and promoter interchangably (although they aren't always). So you are correct. Before I cause anymore confusion: THE BOOKING AGENT is who VoA was having issues with.

Enough said there. :)

And per Melissa- dropping off had NOTHING to do with the other bands in any shape or form.

-Metal

Visions of Atlantis, featuring former Aesma Daeva frontwoman, Melissa Ferlaak, quit the upcoming USA tour with Sonata Arctica. They did so in a hail of verbal gunfire at US agent, John Finberg. The statement read:

"After weeks of very unprofessional behaviour of former North American booking agent John Finberg, Visions of Atlantis decided together with Napalm Records, to pull off the Sonata Arctica tour. We are very sorry for all fans who had looked forward to this, but we will surely be back another time and wish Sonata Arctica a great tour.

Things just got out of control with the "booking agent" and we are happy not having to work with this person anymore."

http://www.visionsofatlantis.com/english/index.htm

Happy reading!

Well I think this can be seen in a very different light after the SA news this week....But it's really sad that it's taken 13 years for all this to finally see the light!
I used to buy my tickets through "enterthevault" when I could thinking I was actually helping the artist more by buying there. Can't believe I was actually lining the pockets of Finberg and supporting his disgusting behavior! Really, really sad.

Well I think this can be seen in a very different light after the SA news this week....But it's really sad that it's taken 13 years for all this to finally see the light!
I used to buy my tickets through "enterthevault" when I could thinking I was actually helping the artist more by buying there. Can't believe I was actually lining the pockets of Finberg and supporting his disgusting behavior! Really, really sad.
Yeah holy shit. Makes me want to puke.

This.

I had heard the rumblings of this guy over the years on many a different discussion board and social media, yet I still bought tickets for tours he "managed".... just to see the bands we can't hardly see over here. I feel dirtier now than I did when I pushed the "buy" button. Hope for recovery to all those that have been damaged by this piece of shit.

Reactions: Mardoch