Vocal Booth

seagleson

carvin usa
Aug 1, 2006
Boston / Los Angeles
Vocalbooth.com

Anyone ever check these out? I wonder how good good those hold up. The price is pretty steep and well, I should look into building my own. I'm going to need a good vocal booth around 6x6 in the coming 5 months and I'm weighing out the options.

se

The Se Electronics Reflexion Filter has gotten awesome reviews.

RF_Pop_Up5.jpg

I built a little room for vocals. It's like 4'x8' or some shit. I can't get anyone to go in there anymore!:lol: It's turned into the Cab iso room!:lol: You could build a makeshift, collapsable, iso booth for pretty cheap, though, and put it up in a big room. Those designer booths are too damn expensive for me! Hell, you could just put a vocalist in front of a piece of Auralex and your set.:lol:

Yeah the reflexion filter is cool. I've been meaning to test it out at home. The maxwall thing auralex has is pretty awesome as well. I have never seen it in person though. Hmm decisions decisions haha. I'll most likely try a reflexion filter, and then the Maxwall thing. If those fail I'll save up money for a nice vocal booth.

Some with the reflexion filter should post some samples. I'd love to hear the difference.

se

Some of the most killer vocal sounds I've heard have just been in a room with some foam, or even no treatment at all.

Weren't Enemy of Gods vocals done literally in the control room with headphones?

Stay away from the modular booth thing. They suck. It gets hot as hell in there after about 20 minutes, and your vocalist won't be happy. Even the ones with the fans get super hot. Also, the foam will start peeling off eventually and your vocalist will get sick of having it hit him in the head or in the back. You'll also have to figure out which position sounds best with your mic, because the acoustic in those things are horrid. Boo.

I have a Reflexion Filter, but mostly for looks. If your vocalist has lyrics to read from, he can forget it. Plus, it's in front which to me isn't the ideal place to deaden the room. My favorite way to record vox is with moving blankets hanging on mic stands behind the vocalist. The Max Wall is basically the same concept. In the big studios, most engineers will put up three tall gobos behind the vocalist. Like this...

/-\

Same with the blankets.

I didn't even think about the whole heat situation. It probably does get really damn hot in those booths. I'm going to try the filter and maxwall within the next 1-2 months. Hopefully one of them does the trick.

se

Stay away from the modular booth thing. They suck. It gets hot as hell in there after about 20 minutes, and your vocalist won't be happy. Even the ones with the fans get super hot. Also, the foam will start peeling off eventually and your vocalist will get sick of having it hit him in the head or in the back. You'll also have to figure out which position sounds best with your mic, because the acoustic in those things are horrid. Boo.

I have a Reflexion Filter, but mostly for looks. If your vocalist has lyrics to read from, he can forget it. Plus, it's in front which to me isn't the ideal place to deaden the room. My favorite way to record vox is with moving blankets hanging on mic stands behind the vocalist. The Max Wall is basically the same concept. In the big studios, most engineers will put up three tall gobos behind the vocalist. Like this...

/-\

Same with the blankets.

i go with the moving blankets on mics stands trick as well. i think it works out great. you can do the same thing with guitar cabs as well if you want to keep some of the room out. those moving blankets come in handy very often.