Vocal Cover of Misery's Crown

cheesehead

New Metal Member
Feb 24, 2011
heard dark tranquility for the first time today, decided it had to be covered. let me know what you think! i think it turned out pretty good even with me trying to sing cleans :loco:

Last edited by a moderator:
Awful, to be honest. Especially the clean vocals. Ugh. I think that the guttural ones are OK, but you go a lot more towards the Black metal sound than the Melodic-Death one. I think you could do a good Marduk cover or something like that, but, at least now, not DT.

Well, I wouldn't call it awful, for it's really not that bad, but it sounds very... mediocre. I mean, 9 out of 10 aspiring metal vocalists could probably produce very similar results. If that's enough for you, fine. But if you want to impress others, mediocre is not enough when covering a unique vocalist like Stanne.

I didn't want to start a new thread for this and I'm not sure if this has been posted on this forum already, but here's a rather unique DT cover:

Note that the vocalist of the band isn't a particularly great one, but his "whiny" (for lack of a better word) style goes perfectly with the sharp tone of the strings - a very powerful death metal vocalist would be a far worse match here, I think.

I'd really like to hear stizzle's thoughts on the clip.

-Villain

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I wouldn't call it awful, for it's really not that bad, but it sounds very... mediocre. I mean, 9 out of 10 aspiring metal vocalists could probably produce very similar results. If that's enough for you, fine. But if you want to impress others, mediocre is not enough when covering a unique vocalist like Stanne.

I didn't want to start a new thread for this and I'm not sure if this has been posted on this forum already, but here's a rather unique DT cover:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl6vFJdRqcg

Note that the vocalist of the band isn't a particularly great one, but his "whiny" (for lack of a better word) style goes perfectly with the sharp tone of the strings - a very powerful death metal vocalist would be a far worse match here, I think.

I'd really like to hear stizzle's thoughts on the clip.

-Villain

Oh well, still awful to me, but I've, without doubt, heard much, much worse covers. Of anything. Especially Borknagar.

Wow, despite the "substandard" vocals, it really is a brilliant cover. The kid goes too much towards hardcore, less death, but did reach some pretty good tones at times. The rest were wicked, what an excellent cover!!! Thanks for posting!
Plus, the chick is hot.

@Villain: The mic on the camera seems to drop a few of their instruments in their entirety, so it's hard to get a good read on the arrangement as whole. It's not until after the very last chorus that you can actually hear the lower strings coming in with the distinct TLF rhythm. Frankly, I think the drums would be better if they were closer to the original; the drummer seems to stick more to the 8ths, while the sparse nu-metal syncopation is part of what makes the main riff in the original work so well. Otherwise, it's an incredible performance. The strings really bring the melodic elements to fore, while they are more heavily embedded with the rhythmic death metal elements in the original. While I prefer the original, I find that these types of covers help to explore elements of the music that we may not have originally appreciated. It's sort of like how Derivation TNB simplifies and draws out of few of the "cloaked" melodies on Character.

@Defiance: What is this about Borknagar? I think that I have to see this.

this isn't the right song for your voice. if you took a softer approach and brought out the feeling it would be better. you are more of a baritone so maybe try something by killswitch engage like their cover of holy diver if it isn't too big of a range for you..maybe you could pull of skindred-nobody