Vocal Delay On Cleans For New Miss May I

JayB

Oct 10, 2009
open.spotify.com
Hey guys, I'm not 100% sure that Joey produced this as I don't follow the band, but I know he recorded their last record. Anyway, I saw the "video" for Miss May I's new song Hey Mister, and I really like the vocal delay on the cleans. You can hear that there's delay on there (plus chorus maybe?) but the words are still clear and not drowned out. I'd love to know how to achieve this effect, because every time I try to put any substantial amount of delay on cleans, they sound washed out and messy. If anyone else wants to chime in on what they normally use for cleans, along with any basic delay settings just for reference, I'd appreciate it!

here's the vid by the way:

Last edited by a moderator:
Machine produced this. Not really feeling the cymbals on this one.

The settings really depend on the song especially when it comes to delay. If the delay is waay too obvious just add a reverb plugin right after it so that it can sort of smudge the delay and make it less obvious.

Machine produced this. Not really feeling the cymbals on this one.

The settings really depend on the song especially when it comes to delay. If the delay is waay too obvious just add a reverb plugin right after it so that it can sort of smudge the delay and make it less obvious.

Interesting...never heard of adding reverb to a delay... and you guys are just sending the vocal to a delay on an aux, not applying the delay right to the track, correct?

If you plan on having reverb or delay on just that one track you can add it to just that one track. If you plan on having that same reverb or delay for a couple of tracks then you can use an aux to save some cpu.

If you plan on having reverb or delay on just that one track you can add it to just that one track. If you plan on having that same reverb or delay for a couple of tracks then you can use an aux to save some cpu.

I thought it was more about to mix the dry signal with the send on the verb and to mix to taste... I guess either way would work

Record one take. Don't touch it. Then record a 2nd track and drown it in delay and/or verb and put it just underneath the untouched vocal. That way you get the clarity of the 1st vocal and the wetness of the 2nd vocal take at the same time.

You can also try parralell limiting the bone dry vocal to bring it more forward while still having the ambience from the delay/verb