Vocal Distortion

Jow

New Metal Member
May 19, 2007
Hi there

Can anyone give some advice on how to achieve a good live distortion effect on vocals?
I'm not a screamer, more of a singer, but I want to add some distortion to certain parts of my vocal, is there a decent pedal that can do this?
I have tried a Boss ME-50 (http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/PRODUCTS/EN/ME-50/)
but i get too much feedback from it which makes it impossible to use, the gate setting on the pedal didnt seem to help.

Any help would be great

i don't have any hands-on experience with getting live distortion on vox, but i'd bet a good ol' green tube screamer would work pretty well

Brother i am looking for a good way to do the same thing. i have heard that if you can gate it right it can help with feed back which is what we all fear. i want to use more than distortion. i am a screamer and a damm good one. but what i would like to do is add some processing to do even more. like odd delay and differnt effects. i got a super hush C and i am thinking of getting a feed back destroyer to see if i can tackle this obsticle. any one with some advice i would welcome it as well. cause it is a bitch to figure out. but i will share what i can figure out. im in experiment mode right now.

The problem is that while the guitar picks up signal only when the strings vibrate (or if you SHOUT fucking LOUD into the pickups), while a vocal mic picks up signal all the time, so a guitar noise-gate is never gonna get you far anyways.... I'd get an EQ, and fuck around with that. Also remember that you don't need gain to make cool grimming/screaming vocals.

you know now that Samba mentions it i do remember this dude telling me he made a mic out of a guitar pick up and it aloud him to get some distorted shit going on.