Vocal Help!!!! (Clip Included)

colbyhemple

New Metal Member
Jan 7, 2015
Hi guys, I'm currently recording/mixing a local band and am having trouble with the vocals. As of now i'm using Shure Sm7b > de-esser > EQ > JST Gain Reduction > Izotope Trash 2 > Reverb.

I'm trying to get them to sound bigger, fuller, more powerful, less scratchy. (Howard Jones - KSE, Tim Lambesis - AILD)
We tried doubling every line but it just ended up sounding like a stereo chorus. =/
To me the screams sound squeaky, throaty, and dry. Any tips? Suggestions? I can't seem to figure this one out!!

- Cheers

(Clip)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ki1wia65n7efm3b/Broken Dreams Help.wav?dl=0

Last edited:
It actually sounds pretty good. There's a lot of things you can use. Here's a list:

Softube Fix Flanger/Doubler
Waves Doubler
Eventide H3000
Excalibur
Softube Tsar-1
U-he Satin
Waves NLS
Klanghelm SDRR
Metric Halo Dirty Delay
Waves CLA Vocals
Ozone 7 Imager

I record a lot of my own vocal covers and that's what I use. If you want to see this stuff in action, I've got video pages for each company linked on separate pages on my site, www.fidelityrebellion.com

You won't have to go to youtube and search a bunch. You could go to my Softube page via my videos section and right there are several embedded videos.

Often I'll gate them after turning them up a lot. I'm just recording with an SM7 and a Zoom R16, sometimes using a Behringer ADA8200 looped back into itself. I don't tweak any settings on the way in, I just leave it all on default and only tweak in the mix. Generally I'm using a lot of CLA76 and CLA2A on the vocal tracks. L1 gets used a lot on the vocal bus.

The problem doesn't lay in vocals itself but in the whole mix.
L.Bliss - you use lot of plugins :) For good recorded vocal track you don't need more than ie. Izotope Nectar. Thats it :)