Vocal Mics On A Tiny Tiny Budget

Feb 3, 2006
www.orchidfixation.co.uk
Like the title says: I'm looking for a vocal mic somewhere around the £100/$200 mark. Obviously it's not going to be amazing, but something I could use on anyone (male/female, singing/screaming/grunting) would be useful.

Any *useful* advice/recommendations would be greatly appreciated; any "you can't get a decent mic for under £100,000" comments will be politely ignored :p It there's something just out of the budget that is a huge step up though, I'd be interested to hear.

Thank in advance!

Steve

ive been happy with my studio projects b1 as well. the audio technican 2020 is another decent 100.00 mic. under 100.00 bucks the only condenser ive had luck with is a samson co1 for 69.00. its worked okay on vox for me in the past. it was the first condenser i bought and it worked ok. i still whip them out once and a while and the never sound that bad surprisingly.

Rode NT1A. I love this mic.

i like this mic as well. i use it often. that said i think its alittle bright for some vocals, especially screamers. the b1 gets more use here for heavy/extreme vox. its alittle smoother and darker/lower sound which somehow sounds better/fatter in a mix. anyway the rode is a great mic not nockin it at all really. if i recorded more singers who acually sang cleans and were really good i would use the nt1a more. the 2020 is good for screamers as well.

B1's for the win. We use them on overheads.

If you can go a little bit extra then the CAD M179 is also a very good choice and is a lot more versatile than the B1. One going on Ebay for £119 at the moment. They're very good on vocals and guitars.

Thanks for all the replies! I should have mentioned I'm looking for a condenser; I've already got a 58, it's what I currently use for my vocals but I'm looking for a change.

So does anyone else have experience of both the B1 and the NT1A? Which one is more versatile?

Thanks again!

Steve

Not trying to bust on OPG (other people's gear), but that NT1A is one of the biggest pieces of shit mics ever manufactured. It has an extremely horrible reputation among professional engineers - and that's for a reason. It has the worst top end of all time. I refuse to mix anything where the vocals have been recorded with one of those pieces of junk. It's always apparent upon playing the raw tracks. Don't buy it. Don't. I almost bought a K2 a few months back, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it basically because the NT1 gave Rode a terrible reputation.

Do yourself a huge favor and save a little bit longer and get something that you can be proud of owning and sounds good.

Not trying to bust on OPG (other people's gear), but that NT1A is one of the biggest pieces of shit mics ever manufactured. It has an extremely horrible reputation among professional engineers - and that's for a reason. It has the worst top end of all time. I refuse to mix anything where the vocals have been recorded with one of those pieces of junk. It's always apparent upon playing the raw tracks. Don't buy it. Don't. I almost bought a K2 a few months back, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it basically because the NT1 gave Rode a terrible reputation.

Do yourself a huge favor and save a little bit longer and get something that you can be proud of owning and sounds good.

I'll second this observation!:lol: It's so fucking harsh for vox, it's unusable to me. After buying an AT4050, my nt1a, just sits on hihats.:lol: I cannot stand that fucking mic! Seemed ok for acoustic guitar, but not vox.:puke: