Vocal Mic. Recommendations please

Hmm.....worth thinking about the sm7 I suppose....as I have heard a lot about it. Not entirely sure if I'll have sufficient gain out of my profire 610 to run it though..assuming I'm looking at the right stat my profire supports a 53dB gain while the sm7 requires 59dB?! Can anyone confirm I'm comparing the correct specifications?

I would feel more comfortable using a dynamic mic vs a condensor though...especially since this is solely for vocals as I live in a small apartment and can't really do live recordings.

Hmm.....worth thinking about the sm7 I suppose....as I have heard a lot about it. Not entirely sure if I'll have sufficient gain out of my profire 610 to run it though..assuming I'm looking at the right stat my profire supports a 53dB gain while the sm7 requires 59dB?! Can anyone confirm I'm comparing the correct specifications?

I would feel more comfortable using a dynamic mic vs a condensor though...especially since this is solely for vocals as I live in a small apartment and can't really do live recordings.

think you got it mixed up the condenser is the one that cant take loud volumes well and is usually used for vocals

I just got an AT2035. I haven't had the chance to try it out much yet, but so far it sounds REALLY good. Take this with a grain of salt though, as my only other mic is a SM57 and that's what I've been tracking harsh and regular vocals with up until now. I got it mostly for clean vocals and acoustic guitar. I think my next purchase would be something like the SM7.

think you got it mixed up the condenser is the one that cant take loud volumes well and is usually used for vocals

it's not about the SPL handling, the sm7 is just a quiet mic and requires a lot more preamp gain than other dynamics.

you should be fine, ryan (catharsis) had a profire and used an sm7 straight into it.

one thing to think about if your room acoustics suck....
You'll get a lot more room sound in a condenser. the sm7 is a much better pick for an untreated room IMO...