Vocal production

rvs0002

Metal from the Heartland
Jun 28, 2007
Topeka, KS
www.johnnylokkeband.com
Hi Neil:
Struggling mightily with vocals lately and wondering if you could talk about general settings you might use. I tend to use mostly upper range vocals (think Geoff Tate/Rob Halford/Bruce Dickinson), but most of my vocals come out sounding thin and brittle instead of thick and smooth if that makes any sense. My chain is Studio Projects C1 into ART Pro MPA (swapped stock tubes for Mullards if i remember correctly) into my DAW (Cubase) via my EMU 0404 card. Not the greatest path, but should be able to get something respectable. Anyhow, no matter what I throw on there I just can't get that fat, smooth sound that I'm aiming for, especially on the higher ranges. Any suggestions on where to start (verb/delay/compression/eq settings)? I know that so much depends on the vocal and I'd gladly post or send a 30 second clip to give you an example (or you can hear some earlier work on my homepage at johnnylokke.com in the player).

I know you are busy so if you don't have time that's fine, just thought I would ask. I'll be in Chicago for business in August, maybe I can bribe you with a Grover's special delivery!

You thought it maybe the mic choice that's causing the problem? :)
Also, how much compression are you using on the vox?

Hi Noodles, thanks for the reply.

I've tried a lot of different mics from a Rode NT1, to a AT4040 and even a 58, so I don't think that's the issue. Not saying that a U87 wouldn't help a lot, but I've heard more talented people do a lot better with less. In other words, I'm sure it's more me than the equipment.

As far as compression, I do either none at all on the way in or at the most a light 2:1, then usually do parallel inside cubase, hitting it lightly twice (if needed) instead of once heavily.

It's really kind of hard to explain, but when I listen to the vocals on my favorite cd's, I can picture the vocal as a smooth line gently rising and falling with the changes in velocity, wheras if I picture mine, it's a little more jagged sounding (I know that probably makes no sense).

I'd love to be a fly on the wall at a studio when a Rob Halford/Geoff Tate/Bruce Dickinson type is laying down their tracks and watch everything that goes on, along with being able to hear and observe the mixing of the tracks step by step.

Not much music goes on here in my city...only one studio and it's known more for it's country and bluegrass recordings, otherwise I'd gladly do some interning (is it still called that if you are 43 years old????? :lol:).