Vocal Mixing help!!

holyhavok

Producer
Apr 18, 2008
Denver, Colorado
www.myspace.com
Im having problems getting my vocals to sound like they are "in" the mix. In other words, it sounds like I have an instrumental I just happened to lay a vocal track over. Kinda sounds out of place. Any specific settings/EQ/plugins/compressors I should use????? Thank you in advance!!:worship:

also, sorry If this has already been explained. I did a bit of hunting in the forums, but I had no success :(

I'd check out Melodyne as far as a vocal tuner goes. As far as mixing goes, I'd check out the sticky for Useful Links/FAQ.

Well, there are several issues that could cause this... One thing (the easiest) I tend to do when I have a vocal track that doesn´t sit well, is that I might slap a multiband comp on the the master fader to tame that particular region. Try 4 db reduction around 500 hz and work from there.
As for "auto tune", try Melodyne, it´s a great plug!

Had a bit to drink tonight, so I hope it made sense :)

I'd really have to hear something in order to help you out, but I find that serial compression is always great on vocals. Carving out room for it in the other instruments is also important. EQing everything to fit together like a nice little puzzle. Are you waiting until the mix is pretty much finished to add the vocals? If you are, then that's part of your problem right there.

Im having problems getting my vocals to sound like they are "in" the mix. In other words, it sounds like I have an instrumental I just happened to lay a vocal track over. Kinda sounds out of place. Any specific settings/EQ/plugins/compressors I should use????? Thank you in advance!!:worship:

The problem you describe is common, and if we are assuming that there is space carved out for vocals in the mix, and only the vocals themselves are the issue then these are things that may help:

Tight compression: Don't be afraid to take about 6dB or so off the vocals, with a tight attack, around maybe 6 to 10ms.

EQ: The low-mids are usually where the vocals pop out. Scooping some out will hollow the vocal out and make it sound more breathy, as well as seat it in the mix. High shelving is a must with me, along with boosts around the 3.3 to 4.2kHz region.

yeah I struggle with this too, i find a little reverb can go along way, what sometimes seems like alot when you soloing the vocals can be just right in the mix

The problem you describe is common, and if we are assuming that there is space carved out for vocals in the mix, and only the vocals themselves are the issue then these are things that may help:

Tight compression: Don't be afraid to take about 6dB or so off the vocals, with a tight attack, around maybe 6 to 10ms.

EQ: The low-mids are usually where the vocals pop out. Scooping some out will hollow the vocal out and make it sound more breathy, as well as seat it in the mix. High shelving is a must with me, along with boosts around the 3.3 to 4.2kHz region.
You don't happen to have any samples I might be able to listen to to give me a better idea by chance?:kickass:

Thanks man. The general guidelines I put up there is exactly what I did, barring the use of course of some large verb and mono delay on his voice. You should be able to get what you want with that approach.

I always see these really important threads, like this one DIE out way to quick....Lets get some professionals to chim in and give some REAL tips on Vocal production and Mixing. im not asking for a miracle....just some info

I always see these really important threads, like this one DIE out way to quick....Lets get some professionals to chim in and give some REAL tips on Vocal production and Mixing. im not asking for a miracle....just some info

Here's my usualy vocal chain. I'm not claiming to have the best sounding vox, but maybe it'll help someone.

I usually use a SM7b or SM58 going into a RME Fireface800. I usually use Waves SSL Channelstrip when mixing (EQ into comp). I cut off everything below about 70-100hz, depending on the voice. I usually boost 3-6db at around 4khz for some clarity on the vocals then I usually boost 3-6db at around 8khz for some brightness on the voice too - watch out though you can easily boost too much thinking it sound better when it doesn't. On the comp, I usually compress vocals very hard. I use the lowest threshold as to not add much additional ambience, fastest attack on and a fast release at about 10:1 ratio. I usually then have all of my vocal tracking going to a bus that has a Waves RDesser on it. I have that in split mode around 9k taking about 6-9db or so off whenever it kicks in. It's important to get this right because when you boost around 8khz sibilance can sometimes get worse. Then I have two more sends off that bus of delay and reverb. For delay, I use Waves Supertap2 synched to the bmp of the song and tucked under the main vocal panned a little off to each side just to make the vocal bigger. The analogue delay preset is pretty cool on that plug, but if you use it on a send like I do, take off the direct sound and maybe pan the delays in a little bit and on a 1/8th and 1/4th notes instead. I usually use the room program on the CSR plug for reverb too. For that, check out the smooth vocals room setting, but you'll probably have to change the reverb time depending on the song. Hope this helps someone.

ha, that's nothing! :D

I'm usually using a FUCKLOAD of compression on vox in metal...

usually about 8-10dB (peaking!) on the way in (like 3-5dB average reduction) with a 3:1-4:1 ratio and a slower attack (10-20ms) and another 6-10 dB during mixdown (4:1-5:1ratio, 3-5ms attack, 50-300ms release).

I wouldn't advice using that much compression on the way in to anyone that is not 100% sure about what he's doing though.
the key is to use a longer attack , in distorted music vocals can hardly be compressed to much, but they CAN be compressed with a too fast attack and that'll dull the vocals.....no way to undo that later.

I started compressing that much on the way in cause I loved the compressor on the P1, but I quickly found out that I need less compression in the DAW to "control" the vocals but am just using a comp to "shape" them (shorter attack, sometimes as fast as 0.1 ms, usually 3-5ms)....plus it helps the singer to monitor their vox with some compression.

fuck, now that I think of it....10dB on the way in and up to another ten during mixsdown..wow! but whatever....it works for me :kickass:.

on the other hand....ditorted as fuck guitars are totally compressed, makes sense to compress vox quite a bit as well

I rely mainly on delay for vox and just add a little reverb, delay tends to muddy up the mix less.

this thread should be in the production tips btw

I'm not a huge fan of compressing vocals heavily on the way in because it tends to promote the singer using bad mic technique. If they can back off, go forward, look sideways, scream, whisper but it all comes out at the same volume, then they have no idea how to control themselves dynamically, and the compressor is essentially doing all the work in that regard. Just my experiences.

I don't like the vox to be dynamic at all (peak wise) so I smash it pretty hard. I definitly get rid of some lows and highs and notch out anything I don't like to get it more present. Add some reverb and thats about it.

Reverb is important though, dry vox sounds wierd. I'm not saying put a ton on but don't leave it bone dry unless your room sounds good and your got some natural verb going.