Vocal recording dilemma ...

Alphanumeric

Jul 12, 2013
UK
Hey guys,

to cut this down simply I'm/we're recording an EP and have done all the drums, guitars, bass and electronic effects at my project studio but I don't have a decent vocal pre, or any vocal preamp actually, aside from the less than flattering ones in my Roland octocaputre, nor do I have a vocal booth.

But at my university we have access to avalon, SPL gold mic's, SPL channel one which are far better than anything I could afford, as well as fully treated booths for vocals, and array of microphones (SM7B, MD421, 4040 etc) which gives us more choice than my beat up SM57.

However I'm running Pro tools 10 at home, but the studio(s) at uni I have access to over the summer only have logic pro, strangely enough hooked up to 192's haha.

So Im thinking I could simply bounce the whole session(s) down as 24 bit wav files like I have done already, and simply insert into Logic, get the vocals recorded raw and use the nice hardware comps and eq's on the way in with the SPL channel strips or avalon analog stuff, bounce out the vocal stems, and import into my sessions at home, so I can further mix my nice from waves, stillwell, bootsy, sonimus etc which the studios at uni I have access to don't have, only stock logic plugs.

Is this a good idea? Or is their something simpler. (FYI the instrumental tracks are already fully mixed, obviously adjustments can be made around vocals when they are put into the session, and all 5 tracks recorded peak at around -3db to -5db, and we are sending them out to a mastering house, if that means anything to this situation).

Thanks in advance guys :loco:

I hate giving advice when i have no personal experience or applicable knowage... but considering that you're not getting tons of useful advice to say the least i'm going to support the motions of just bouncing your session into a single track and then loading up logic, doing all the vocal tracking with cool analog gear and a sm5b perhaps... then carefully tacking all the vocal takes from logic's folder (i have no idea about how that works in logic, in pro tools you would be able to just copy paste from the session folder... I kinda hate apple >.< ) and then mixing from the commodity of your home :) best of luck man!