Vocalist equipment

Phish

Led By The Reaper
Feb 28, 2005
Germany
I want to ask a question to all of you you vocalists in here. For half a year I've been learning to growl and now i started a band with my friends to do some melodic death stuff. Apart from me all others played in bands before and so they already have their amps and what they need. But I never joined a band before and so I have no mic, amp etc. for my vocals.
Could someone enlighten me what stuff i need exactly and what you think is a good equipment to start with?

first you need a mic

if you are in a rehearsal-room where you can use a PA (soundmixer, poweramp, speakers) the mic and a cable for it is all you need.

I think there are amps, that are pretty ok for use with a mic (ask in a store, they'll show you that stuff and you can test it) if you have the money, you could also buy a small soundmixer (4-channels or something), poweramp and speakers

for gigs, you'll probably only need the mic and cable or nothing at all (depending on how the gig is organized and what equipment they have there)

oh, as far as equipment goes: the Shure SM58 is a good vocal-mic, pretty much a standard. costs some 105€ here in germany. I think AKG and Senheiser make good mics, too (but I dont have much experience with different mics, mostly use SM58 and never had problems) there are also wireless versions of a lot of mics for a higher price, I've never looked into those as they're pretty useless for me (I also play guitar)

I have the sm57, it is very good as well. Although I use it mainly for miking my amp (crappy combo) it works well for vocals. It was only $50 USD here.

thx for the replies
the problem is that i have no amp, i don't play guitar or something. i thought of putting the mic into the aux channel of my amp for the cd-player, but i don't know if it'll work and be loud enough. i also checked some online stores, and i found some complete systems, e.g. the phonic powerpack 408 pa system. the offer sounds good, but is it the right stuff for a metal band?

I would suggest you to buy a cheap pa system, a used one, you should get a good one for around 500.- Euro/Dollar. Than you have the possibility to experimend with the effects on your voice which could be usefull when you want to growl. A delay or a echo effect will make yur voice much more powerfull and you can be sure that you will be as loud as the guitars in your rehearsal room. hehe