What sound equipment do vocalists need.

Irish Headbanger

New Metal Member
Apr 25, 2012
Wadup, my name is Zac.
So About me, I've been doing heavy metal vocals and writing lyrics for about 3 years, i'm told i'm pretty damn good, but I have never been in a band or used any type of professional sound equipment to get quality sound.

So my question is, what type of equipment besides, obviously, a mic would one need to record some demos and acualy join a band.
Also, as far as demos go to audition for a band, is a vocalist expected to have a song I wrote without the instruments or do people usually just do a cover on another bands vocals?

You should invest in a pa. If only to practice through, it's something you'll need. The way I've always auditioned is to either learn a couple of their songs, write lyrics for a couple songs or if they have nothing recorded them selves I'll just jam out ideas during a practice or something. If you have to record vocals there are plenty of options. You could record a video, get recording software (they have free and paid stuff obviously) and an interface, or pay one of your local studios to record there(I'm sure to record just vocals for a song or two you could find cheap options).