Essentials for a Vocalist trying to find a band?

NinjaGeek

Feb 22, 2007
I've never been too serious about my vocals, but more recently I think I've gotten really good at goregrind vocals, and I've decided to try and find a band. Just curious when a vocalist joins a band what kind of equipment are you expected to have with you?

Mic?
Amp?
Anything else?

Also what skills are you generally expected to have as a decent vocalist? Do you normally sit down write out the sheet music for the vocals with the rest of the band? Or are you expected to just belt out notes in whatever key they're playing in?

Whole thing is rather new to me, but I've got the vocals down, and some basic music theory knowledge (which I'm working on improving), so I think I'm ready. Also any other tips you have for vocalists in general, or tips for finding a band(as none of my friends play anything)?

My brother and I are vocalists in a band. We have a Beta 58a mic, and our drummer already had a pa system so we didnt need to get a amp. I dont know anything about music theory and we sound fine. I write basically all the lyrics myself. A lot of times I write lyrics before we even have a song, and I just make some changes once there we have music if I need to to make it fit better.

This might not be that good of advice but if you're somewhat decent, join a talentless band that is horrible. That way it'll make your vocals look much better than they are. And more bands will want you.

I would like to join a band but I can't find any progressive, power metal bands to join.