Vocals and other things on Casting the Stones

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
So I've been listening to this a lot lately and finally it's all starting to come together and hit me. I recall a thread on here about the vocals on Casting the Stones and melodies etc. I don't know what the difference is on this album but the vocals are definitely stand-out when it comes to melodies/harmonies. Especially on songs like Legion Immortal and Feast or Famine. The vocal melodies on those songs are just awesome, I can listen to these over and over. Even the way they are recorded is just very haunting. (by the way what happened to the lyrics on Legion Immortal? Am I crazy or are they hit and miss vs. what's in the booklet?)

Another thing I notice is the use of weird (but cool) backing keyboard melodies on this album. Tunes like Vigilant, Starlight's Fury! The backing keyboards remind me of how Power of Omens does theirs, very abstract and different.

Anyways, this may very well have worked its way to my favorite Jag Panzer album! I thought it would be tough to dethrone (pun intended) Thane to the Throne for me...

MetalAges said:
So I've been listening to this a lot lately and finally it's all starting to come together and hit me. I recall a thread on here about the vocals on Casting the Stones and melodies etc. I don't know what the difference is on this album but the vocals are definitely stand-out when it comes to melodies/harmonies. Especially on songs like Legion Immortal and Feast or Famine. The vocal melodies on those songs are just awesome, I can listen to these over and over. Even the way they are recorded is just very haunting. (by the way what happened to the lyrics on Legion Immortal? Am I crazy or are they hit and miss vs. what's in the booklet?)

Another thing I notice is the use of weird (but cool) backing keyboard melodies on this album. Tunes like Vigilant, Starlight's Fury! The backing keyboards remind me of how Power of Omens does theirs, very abstract and different.

Anyways, this may very well have worked its way to my favorite Jag Panzer album! I thought it would be tough to dethrone (pun intended) Thane to the Throne for me...
Hey MetalAges,
I can't comment on the vocals (that’s Harry's gig), but the Keys in the background on the songs that I wrote were added to really present the harmony that the guitars were hinting at but not fully divulging. They were meant only to compliment and not dominate. I’m glad you like it, because to me it's those little things combined that make this CD work.
Take care, Chris.

Work??? Yeah - work over the competition! Chris atleast give the other bands a CHANCE! LOL :worship:

Seriously though...I was just thinking the same thing about the keyboards. And it sounds really good with them there and totally provides an extra fullness to the sound. It's like you want them to be heard but then again you don't want them to be heard (if that makes any sense).