vocals without a pa

May 23, 2007
is it better to use a guitar amp or a bass amp for vocals i heard the bass because it will be warmer but can anyone shed some light?

I haven't tried either and I think it is safe to say that you would be much better of with a PA. If that's not possible however, Bass cabinets are much closer to PA speakers than a Guitar Cab, so this could work pretty well actually. If the Bass Cabinet has a HF Horn, that is. Otherwise it would sound pretty dull i guess. In that case the Guitar Cab might be better, but this should sound pretty harsh and generally unpleasent one might think.

In my old band, we ran a Behringer mixer into a 70's Kenwood poweramp that my dad had in college, into a cheap Crate 4x12 and Fender 2x12 that we found on craigslist.

It barely worked, mostly because the poweramp was only like 60w per side. :lol:

In my old band, we ran a Behringer mixer into a 70's Kenwood poweramp that my dad had in college, into a cheap Crate 4x12 and Fender 2x12 that we found on craigslist.

It barely worked, mostly because the poweramp was only like 60w per side. :lol:

ahh the good old days of getto PA...hahah im so glad we have in ears now.

Guitar amps are so lo-fi you wouldn't believe it if you didn't try running a 'real' signal through them. At least keyboard amps *attempt* to represent the input faithfully... Bass amps might be better, but neither are a very good idea compared to a proper PA or at least a keyboard amp.

Jeff

Another vote for keyboard amp, if you have/can get one. I've seen a few (Fender and Roland come to mind) that have an XLR input on the first channel as well. They're basically a powered monitor with multiple inputs. If you don't have access to one, a bass amp will do in a pinch. Much cleaner and with a wider frequency response than a guitar amp, especially if there's a horn/tweeter in there.

Singing through a guitar amp = instant "telephone" effect, more or less. Perhaps I exaggerate a bit, but not by much. JBroll is right about how low-fi they are. Guitar speakers basically highpass and lowpass the signal coming from the amp. They're not meant to accurately reproduce anything, they're meant to sound pleasing with an electric guitar, so they're a huge box of mids with no top and no bottom compared to "normal" speakers, with odd frequency emphasis... and some of 'em break up- intentionally- at high enough volumes.