Vocals

Malevolent

New Metal Member
May 10, 2008
I've been singing guttural vocals for about a year now, and I'm just wondering if any other vocalists out there would be able to give me some pointers and tips on how to hit those intense lows and hell raising highs!

Well, every one has his own point of view, but i will first recommand, you!

Every one can find the tips of gutural, but not to much people can get on stage with it!
Cause the good guttural( grav-medium-high) vocas, are clean vocals, as well, for me and to get my guttural, more confortabl, for some singles with a lot of non synchronised lyrics, i try to sing it in the same tempo, but in clean voice!

You must get the exercice of third octav and higher from some people who study Chorus in fukin churshs, or in operette, and about the groov, try to use your stomach, to help yourself make the extracting of the respiration stable so then you make to much shit!

Some dry-jean, vodka, any liquor, will make your sound cleaner (not clean mean in the level, but clean as in the quality), never sing in gutural without getting your gorge warming( preparin') with some clean singing!

I sing in guttural thrice of low medium and high, near to christianno borchi, the singer of stormlord, and i have the entring air technique, wich not to make your breath get out but in the opposit, you take your breath when singing, and it makes me more confortabl, in long duration concert, cause you don't have to wonder about fatigue, or the organisation of your breath!( i think that M.Akerfeldt uses that technique)

Remember that Shuck Shuldinner( DEATH's singer and guitarist for those fuked who don't know him), get concer in his gorge beacause of singing at first and too, because of drinks, and cigarette, it killed him so i advice you think in your future, and to practice well to make your gorge strong, and enables you to get the same level of sound for the whool concert!

PS: concentrate in the mouth position of singers in concert(in clips no that not truth coz his isn't singin) the changin of the gorge form, the permutating between, growl, and high , can become a kid-game if you find the shit you make with yor respiration, and at last try to concentrate first on the good sound and then in the volume! of your singin'!

;)

Drinking milk seems to establish a nice mucus layer in the back or your throat which can improve the quality and comfort of your scream / growl. If you're not worried about gaining weight, half & half or heavy cream would be even better yet.

not everyone can throat sing like mikael from opeth so for those who cant... push from your gut, add some power/push so they have more definition, and just clench your throat. just make sure if you're in pain when you do it, change your technique. you can change your style with a bit of work if thats what you have to do

Buy the DVD "The Zen of Screaming" by Melissa Cross. I'm not kidding man, that DVD has helped me out tremendously!
You can also get lots of tips on her website
http://www.melissacross.com/home.php?
Use your diaphragm and aim for a feeling similar to taking a dump when doing gutterals, and try to talk like Marge Simpson while practicing highs. Start practicing highs at a moderate volume, and you'll get louder in time. Technique is way more important than volume!

great dvd, but for me, that techniques done, she's made too many people sound too similar, lamb of god, all that remains, god forbid, unearth, killswitch... i don't mind it over different styles, but when its all sort of metalcore esq stuff, its become a bit bland, power but no raw feel

i also know someone who used the same technique for years and ended up with chest pains, which is a given if you think about it, all the pressure goes onto your chest, its sort of like putting your finger over a tap and turning the tap to full, i'm not saying its no good, she's clearly an expert, but at the end of the day, mikael akerfeldt has the better scream haha

Drinking milk seems to establish a nice mucus layer in the back or your throat which can improve the quality and comfort of your scream / growl. If you're not worried about gaining weight, half & half or heavy cream would be even better yet.

i hope your joking haha, milks one of the worst things a vocalist can drink, ok so its good for gutteral lows i guess, mainly because its cold and puts a film on your chords - which is good, feels soothing, but as your screaming, your drying out your chords and god help you if you go from low to high, the film starts to dissipate, you end up with an inconsistent scream, starts sounding more like your fronting madball, the only thing milks good for is fast yapping and even then you don't see many screamers with a jug of milk on stage! plus drink too much too late and your gonna feel real sick, lactose is pretty harsh, your goin nuts aswell as tensing your stomach/rotunda muscles everytime you exhale, not an ideal situation for digesting, i've found fizzy drinks can be good though, im not advising them or anything but i'm going through 2 cans a practice at the moment, its probably just an addiction though

i hope your joking haha, milks one of the worst things a vocalist can drink, ok so its good for gutteral lows i guess, mainly because its cold and puts a film on your chords - which is good, feels soothing, but as your screaming, your drying out your chords and god help you if you go from low to high, the film starts to dissipate, you end up with an inconsistent scream, starts sounding more like your fronting madball, the only thing milks good for is fast yapping and even then you don't see many screamers with a jug of milk on stage! plus drink too much too late and your gonna feel real sick, lactose is pretty harsh, your goin nuts aswell as tensing your stomach/rotunda muscles everytime you exhale, not an ideal situation for digesting, i've found fizzy drinks can be good though, im not advising them or anything but i'm going through 2 cans a practice at the moment, its probably just an addiction though
That makes sense, that's for clearing it up.

mountain dew and rockstar energy make my vocals more wet sounding while water gives them a dryer sound. and milk? haha did it once and i will never do it again. not to mention the horrible breath that you're letting everybody in the crowd smell haha. cigarettes also add more definition to my voice by i need to quit. if you don't smoke, your voice is more raw sounding

Question. I can growl not half bad when I first start, but my voice gets so dry I am unable to pull off anything near decent. What can I drink to prevent this. Water does not help.

Question. I can growl not half bad when I first start, but my voice gets so dry I am unable to pull off anything near decent. What can I drink to prevent this. Water does not help.

You have to keep yourself hydrated. Drink lots of water beforehand, and keep drinking it during the time you're singing. Water DOES help, but its not like watering a plant. The water has to go through your system. If you're already dehydrated, then the waters going to go to more important places first before it hits your throat/mouth.

mountain dew is my personal favorite but pepsi or rly most soda's would work. sunny delight works some times. basically, anything sugary.

beer works too