Voice job

prititing

Idiot
Nov 1, 2005
Bucharest
Hi again. This is not music related, but i hope you can help me. I'm working in a studio that has a lot of advertising jobs. Pretty muck the usual sound-desing and voice-over. But today i got a new job that is a little different: the client wanted a voice that should sound like it was recorded in the 30s-40s in a TV or radio station. Like a sports announcer or something. I used a free plug-in from Izotope called Vinyl that does a good job and thought problem solved. But they still wanted to hear some speeding up and slowing down like it was a tape with vari-speed or something like this. I got away preatty easy by throwing a pitch-shifter to the track and automating the semi-tones amount on the plug-in. And now i'm asking you if there is a more smartly way of doing this.

This probably isn't very helpful, but I've got a VST plug-in called 'Tape Stop' which mimics can tape slowing down and speeding up again - if I remember correctly it's free (I got the link from this forum). It literally just has one button you click to slow down, and click again to speed back up. You could use that to do it, it's not much different or easier than what you did but it sounds pretty good.

Steve

Suicide, or anyone else, who do you actually use that "tape stop" plugin?

i tried it briefly,but it seems to stop, speed up and slow down on command only, meaning i actually have to press "play" to make it work.. i just want to try it on a piece of a song, but how?

Black neon bob said:

i tried it briefly,but it seems to stop, speed up and slow down on command only, meaning i actually have to press "play" to make it work.. i just want to try it on a piece of a song, but how?

I'm sure there's a better way to do it, but say I wanted to use the effect on a guitar track: I solo that guitar track and play it back, recording it with the effect onto another track (just clicking the effect as you are now), making sure I leave some clean stuff at the start/end to crossfade with. It's not ideal, but it works, and I don't use the effect often enough that I can be bothered to read the instructions :p

Black neon bob said:

It should be possible to automate it...

@carl@laruso.com: Yes i tryed it. It's totally diferent then vari-speed. I guess my question leads to this: How can i have vari-speed on Logic 7 on a Mac?