Voice Strengthening Exercises?

Hmmm thanks for the advice guys.

It's probably my fault. I truly do not know when to say stop. After recording my last finished song which was 2 weeks ago nearly. I didn't really feel any aching at first. But after finishing the vocals the day after I woke up with what felt like a cold, my glands swollen etc and the aching set in. So that weekend silly me thought "time to record next track!" and then literally as I was laying down the vocals I said to my bro "this is not a good idea" - I could hardly talk, my voice had went really deep and it was breaking up just from talking...... STILL I sang everyday, I have even been singing a bit today & had to take tablets because of the pain in my throat. I just can't fucking keep my mouth shut.

It's probably all down to me just overdoing it and then with the cold... and then fucking singing drunk to fucking Soundgardens Jesus Christ Pose at full volume. I really just have to shut the fuck up until this sorts it's self out.

It's frustrating too because I've finally got a fucking band together and I can't do fuck all now.

I'm thinking I should just like not talk for an entire week or something :S

I hope this shit resolves it's self soon.

I think I best start taking care of my voice. I would truly hate to damage it.

Also I think my technique might not be that great. Sometimes I push too hard - I learnt from putting a lot of pressure into my voice. But the thing is I can actually do it without a lot of pressure now it's just a bad habit.

I also should mention that about 2 years ago I blew my voice out so bad I literally could not sing for like 4 months. It was fucking painful and no strength in my vocal chords whatsoever - Whenever I would try and sing my voice would instantly just break up all over the place. Sounded absolutely terrible and also hurt. That was caused by my lack of experience, overdoing it and.... putting way too much pressure on my vocal chords.

Actually, some friends of mine that has vocal lessons have been told to drink "finger warm"-water before/while/after singing.. because colder water makes your blood vessels contract, and warmer water will make them expand, and you don't want either of that.

:headbang: Ive spoken to a few screamers AND singers that have had small vocal coaching to work on their breathing and technique and the first warm up ritual most of them have been told is drink some moderatley warm water.

Fingerwarm really is 37 Celsius. ;)

.. I would like to see you in a kitchen! :lol: ;)
Hey! I know how to cook pasta and some Argentinian meals :p!

I meant the finger in the water method, It's maby some degree less than the actual body temperature. Listen to Notuern, that chef knows it! :D
Optimal would be to not even feel if it's warm or cold when you drink it, that's as good as it gets :)
Yeah, but I think that water at such temperature would be felt like hot, more than warm :/
Also I think my technique might not be that great. Sometimes I push too hard - I learnt from putting a lot of pressure into my voice. But the thing is I can actually do it without a lot of pressure now it's just a bad habit.

I also should mention that about 2 years ago I blew my voice out so bad I literally could not sing for like 4 months. It was fucking painful and no strength in my vocal chords whatsoever - Whenever I would try and sing my voice would instantly just break up all over the place. Sounded absolutely terrible and also hurt. That was caused by my lack of experience, overdoing it and.... putting way too much pressure on my vocal chords.

Dude, I suggest you take some singing lessons before you REALLY fuck up your vocal cords...

Some good advice here, I'm also starting to practice doing screams and vocals so I can record them for my own solo stuff or perhaps sing in a band in the future. Since the Zen of Screaming is apparently crap, what would you recommend? I don't want to go to lessons (at least yet), I like learning and experimenting with stuff by myself.

Hey! I know how to cook pasta and some Argentinian meals :p!

Yeah, but I think that water at such temperature would be felt like hot, more than warm :/

I hear you mate:) However, 37 degreed water wont feel either hot nor cold when you drink it :) Your mouth is almost always 37 degrees.

Some good advice here, I'm also starting to practice doing screams and vocals so I can record them for my own solo stuff or perhaps sing in a band in the future. Since the Zen of Screaming is apparently crap, what would you recommend? I don't want to go to lessons (at least yet), I like learning and experimenting with stuff by myself.

Well Melissas advices wont make you scream, they basicly make your voice last longer on tour or in studio etc.
My advice is to analyse songs and try to mimic the sound you like. Keep in mind, you wont sound exactly the same, just know that you should keep your own sound. Trying to take pitches that are beyound your range will just make it weaker, add your own style to make it work. Eventually you'll get a strong growl/scream and master a wider range :)
Don't be afraid to sing loud! For me, the louder the better! Screaming at low volume, like if you're scared someone is hearing you will only soar you throat.
Other than that, Good luck! Never give up! :)

:lol: yes! that.

Dude, for real: you blew out your voice for extended periods of time in your life and you look down upon a (good) instructional DVD that you have obviously never seen (otherwise you wouldn't blow your voice out)???

Either you are really, really stupid or really, really young/immature - but anyway: as Steve/Suicide_As_Alibi said before - the warmups on Zen Of Screaming 1 are really good. I own both DVDs and I never even started working on the 2nd one because I couldn't really figure out what she was trying to tell me. Nevertheless I'll be the first to say that DVD #1 (especially the warmps) is gold for people who don't have vocal training and need to get their voice in shape.

I just had a gig yesterday and had a sore throat from a summer cold all week. Did the ZoS warm-ups 5 times before the show and really had problems with my voice - to the point where I thought "Fuck, I don't know if I can do the show for 60 minutes". I didn't talk for an hour after the warm-ups and had absolutely no problems during the show. Don't have any problems today either.

Before I got the ZoS DVD #1, I could barely sing/yell for 2 minutes. So regardless if XRatedDodo dislikes "Melissa Cross immensely" there are a lot of people with different experiences from his.

No.

There's plenty of shit and the testimonials in it just stress the fact that vocal exercises and training will help you in the long run.

Yep. Actually the testimonials in between are a great way to motivate the normal, lazy, inexperienced, wants-to-be-a-singer buyer of the DVD - simply by having well-known musicians tell you over and over that it works.

If there was a Melissa Cross Audio Engineering DVD where she showed us how to mic a 5150 and after that Andy Sneap would be saying "This is how it's done, that's how I got the Doomsday Machine sound!" it would a) create more credibility and b) more motivation for the viewer.

I actually really like the in-between episodes for their "relateability". When the singer from Shadows Fall says that he doesn't want anyone to see him warm-up or when Randy Blythe treats all the exercises with humor it makes this more relateable and accessible to me by saying: Yes, they are weird exercises and it's ok to be embarrased at first - and: hey, don't treat it like a military routine, have fun while doing it.

So to me the in-between parts are actually helpful.

Yep. Actually the testimonials in between are a great way to motivate the normal, lazy, inexperienced, wants-to-be-a-singer buyer of the DVD - simply by having well-known musicians tell you over and over that it works.

If there was a Melissa Cross Audio Engineering DVD where she showed us how to mic a 5150 and after that Andy Sneap would be saying "This is how it's done, that's how I got the Doomsday Machine sound!" it would a) create more credibility and b) more motivation for the viewer.

I actually really like the in-between episodes for their "relateability". When the singer from Shadows Fall says that he doesn't want anyone to see him warm-up or when Randy Blythe treats all the exercises with humor it makes this more relateable and accessible to me by saying: Yes, they are weird exercises and it's ok to be embarrased at first - and: hey, don't treat it like a military routine, have fun while doing it.

So to me the in-between parts are actually helpful.

Exactly my thoughts.

Dude, for real: you blew out your voice for extended periods of time in your life and you look down upon a (good) instructional DVD that you have obviously never seen (otherwise you wouldn't blow your voice out)???

Either you are really, really stupid or really, really young/immature - but anyway: as Steve/Suicide_As_Alibi said before - the warmups on Zen Of Screaming 1 are really good. I own both DVDs and I never even started working on the 2nd one because I couldn't really figure out what she was trying to tell me. Nevertheless I'll be the first to say that DVD #1 (especially the warmps) is gold for people who don't have vocal training and need to get their voice in shape.

I just had a gig yesterday and had a sore throat from a summer cold all week. Did the ZoS warm-ups 5 times before the show and really had problems with my voice - to the point where I thought "Fuck, I don't know if I can do the show for 60 minutes". I didn't talk for an hour after the warm-ups and had absolutely no problems during the show. Don't have any problems today either.

Before I got the ZoS DVD #1, I could barely sing/yell for 2 minutes. So regardless if XRatedDodo dislikes "Melissa Cross immensely" there are a lot of people with different experiences from his.

I have seen it. I find her annoying.

And how "really really young" are we talking?

This young?

babyguitar2.jpg

Because i'm at least 2 years older than this guy.

:lol::lol::lol:

You don't have to like someone to gain some wisdom/insight from them...

Besides getting a vocal coach or googling and finding some other vocal shiz that you like..

What's the second Zen of Screaming like then? Perhaps that goes more in depth with stuff? I know one singer who I know has had lessons with Melissa Cross (I'm not sure if it means he's just studied the DVD's or if he's had online lessons, I'd guess the latter) and he's pretty good with screams.

I just finished watching the second one. Yes its a bit more advanced, you need to have all the techniques from the first down.
Flowing smoothly between singing and screaming. Screaming in pitch. Enunciating.