Volbeat... interesting

General Zod

Ruler of Australia
May 1, 2001
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
Went to see them in Philly last night. The first thing that struck me was the crowd. Had to be more than a thousand people there, specifically for Volbeat. The entire audience was incredibly into it, singing every word, and chanting Vol-Beat at every opportunity. Apparently, opening for Metallica can really bolster a band's career. When Michael asked who had seen them open for Metallica, nearly the entire crowd cheered.

The other thing that struck me was the pit. It was huge, aggressive, and went on for the whole show. And it was just completely insane when they did a Misfits covers.

Finally, they performed as a power trio. Thomas was stopped from coming into the country for stealing a bar stool when he was a teenager. Thank goat for our masterminds who run the Department of Homeland Security. We can apparently turn the terror alert down to a calming pastel blue, as we have our man.

Volbeat is an incredible live band, saw them open for Nightwish and immensely enjoyed them more than the headliners

I know they're REALLY big back in Denmark and throughout Europe, but didn't know they actually had a following in the US. I've heard they are actually quite popular in the US. My question is how long will their "gimmick" last before it gets tiresome? I personally like them, but anyone on this forum tends to listen to music outside of the US mainstream :lol:

Edit: I wanted to see them tonight in Baltimore, but I don't do concerts on Sunday nights. :(

Really want to see them, but I already have three concerts this week so I'm gonna have to miss their Chicago show. Good to know the crowd was good though.

Saw them in NYC. Same response. Tickets were being scalped at double face value. Incredible energy from the crowd as well as the band. Not sure of the entire set list, but they played a long time it seemed. Aggressive pit, but not too obnoxious.

Too much pot smoke, though. Geez, people, not all of us want to get high, but that's not exclusive to Volbeat. Every concert it the same.

Damn, I was going back and forth about whether I wanted to trek out to Philly (or NYC) to see them, but decided against it in order to prepare financially for the ProgPower trip. Would've loved to have seen this, but for now I guess I'll keep listening to the albums and wait for them to come back.

Dunno, maybe I'm an old git, but I see Volbeat as a band who do not deliver anything new to the genre. Maybe people who are young enough to not have experience from the past may think they are something special. <shrug> Don't impress me at all, sorry folks.

Dunno, maybe I'm an old git, but I see Volbeat as a band who do not deliver anything new to the genre. Maybe people who are young enough to not have experience from the past may think they are something special. <shrug> Don't impress me at all, sorry folks.

While I understand this viewpoint, for me, the same causes have the opposite effect. It's BECAUSE Volbeat does this unapologetic take on an old sound that I like them so much. Bands who were a big influence on them were bands who I was listening to long before I was listening to any metal.
What cements their appeal to me is that they bring it into a modern and metallic context. I loved it from the first listen and it has yet to fade.

Finally, they performed as a power trio. Thomas was stopped from coming into the country for stealing a bar stool when he was a teenager. Thank goat for our masterminds who run the Department of Homeland Security. We can apparently turn the terror alert down to a calming pastel blue, as we have our man.

Jeeeze....WTF??!!!!! I know this shouldn't surprise me, but that is beyond stupid....

I'm old, and I enjoy Volbeat a lot......:Spin:

I'm surprised that Greg/Zod is still "shocked!, SHOCKED!" at the popularity level of a band like Volbeat...
I'm not surprised by their appeal. I believe I said a while back, I could see them becoming very popular. I just wasn't aware of anything happening, that would have given them that push.

...being that Volbeat has been in continuous heavy rotation at WSOU for going on 3-4 years now.
Haven't listened to WSOU since the late 80s. Hell... I didn't even know they still played Metal.

I'm surprised that Greg/Zod is still "shocked!, SHOCKED!" at the popularity level of a band like Volbeat, being that Volbeat has been in continuous heavy rotation at WSOU for going on 3-4 years now.

They really don't have as big of an influence as you seem to think.

Don't know how much of a factor this would be in popularity gain, but they've been getting airplay on two Sirius XM stations. I heard a song at work a few days ago, thought "WTF? That sounds like Volbeat!", looked up the playlist, and... yup, it was them.

It's not really my kind of music, but when I looked them up after hearing they were supporting Nightwish on their make-up dates, I definitely thought that they could get big here.

Had to be more than a thousand people there, specifically for Volbeat. The entire audience was incredibly into it, singing every word, and chanting Vol-Beat at every opportunity.

Just bought a ticket for Thursday in Chicago after reading this. I was figuring I'd just pay at the door, since, who the hell knows/cares about Volbeat, right?

So thanks for the heads-up!

Neil