Vote for Backmask (in two clicks, no info required!)

:err: What the fuck?!? How the hell is that Watercolor Paintings hippie shit leading the votes? OMG... seriously, i'm in complete utter fucking disbelief!

I'm listening to their myspace page right now and uhhh... :erk: ... uhhh... i'm speachless... is there a damn hippie compound there in Santa Barbara or something? I'm living in the twilight zone. Shit... :zombie:

Their music(?) reminds me of share-and-tell time back in like Pre-School/Kindergarten. I wonder if they have audience participation and rubbing rhythm sticks together like they pass out in elementary music class.

:OMG:

Thanks so much! You guys have definitely gotten us a lot of votes. I honestly haven't heard of any of the bands leading in the vote numbers until this contest happened. The last time we got involved in a local contest, it was very similar. All of a sudden, virtually unknown hippie rock bands came up out of the woodwork and dominated the voting, only to vanish again after the contest was over.

One time we made the mistake of cheating in a similar local contest online, because we figured the other winning bands were, and we had plans to give the prize money to our friends' band who had their van broken into and all their gear stolen (preventing them from participating in the contest any further, as there were live events that were part of the contest as well.) We got caught because somebody at the radio station actually checked the server logs and noticed all of the votes coming in from shadow domains we'd set up, and we were made the scapegoat of the entire scene for a while, even though we didn't want the prize money for ourselves.

:oops: Oooohhhh... I should go get some rhythm sticks, a rain stick, and some sort of childrens books and just start singing everything I read. I will then dominate the Santa Barbara music scene! It's brilliant! It's that eeeaaazzzzzy!!! I'll be a millionaire!

Just so everybody knows what they are voting for, here is how the contest is going down:
http://www.independent.com/news/2008/jun/12/4-steps-take/

"Between Thursday, August 21 and Sunday, August 24, the top fives from each region will compete live and in person, playing their jams to crowds of friends, fans, and music enthusiasts who will ultimately select the best of the bunch. From there, one winner from each region will play live at Alameda Park on Labor Day weekend. There, a select group of professionals will sit back, enjoy the show, and together determine who takes home the top prize."

"this year's winning band/performer will win a slot on the Main Stage of the 2008 West Beach Music Festival."

so basically, this first round of online voting doesn't get any of the bands anything except for a chance to play a regional qualifying show, with the regional winners playing another show to determine an ultimate winner. If the winners from each region in the online voting are not ready or available to play live on the given date for each regional show, they obviously won't progress to the West Beach show.

Also, the later end of the contest is partially judged by folks from the West Beach show... and I'm guessing they are not fans of the Metal genre, judging by who is scheduled to play the show already! Jason Mraz and Ziggy Marley to name a couple. http://www.westbeachfestival.com/

Thanks,
Bob-E
-------------------
Drummer of StompRocket
Webmaster of Independent.com

BTW, I am aware that there is no real secure way to host online voting with tech minded people finding work-arounds through resetting dynamic ip address and the like. If I made voters have to register, enter a jumbled text code "capcha" every time they voted... this would just dissuade people from voting, and make the entire voting process "not fun"... and that would just be lame!

Keep it Metal!!!!
Bob-E

BTW, I am aware that there is no real secure way to host online voting with tech minded people finding work-arounds through resetting dynamic ip address and the like. If I made voters have to register, enter a jumbled text code "capcha" every time they voted... this would just dissuade people from voting, and make the entire voting process "not fun"... and that would just be lame!

Keep it Metal!!!!
Bob-E

Thanks for all the info, and I hope none of my comments came off as an insult; they were in reference to the infamous 107.7 contest a couple of years ago, an unfair comparison as it turns out. I mainly want our bands to do respectably in the voting, even if we come nowhere close to playing a qualifying gig (would we really even want to?) We can't let the hippie rock win too easily. ;)

I like the simplicity of what you've set up and I'm glad it isn't going to be weighed too heavily. I totally forgot that you're webmastering for the Indy, much better that way! :headbang:

My goal is to promote Santa Barbara bands as much as possible, especially the metal bands... and to drive tons of traffic to the Independent.com website!

So on that note, keep voting! I just wanted the bands to know what they were competing for with the online voting... and that we are judging in other ways besides just the number results!

Thanks also for promoting StompRocket!

Bob-E