Vote on Oak Knoll's next sampler cd format

What format should the Oak Knoll Sampler cd be in?

• Total voters

Oak Knoll

Oak Knoll Productions
May 17, 2002
Attleboro, MA USA
www.oak-knoll.com
I'm curious - I wonder if I should keep my sampler/compilation cd in audio format or mp3 format? There are so many bands I like - picked out 40 and have to widdle it down to 80mins - that's maybe 15 bands. So help me vote if a mp3 format free cd is worth handing out or keep it an audio cd.

But if the quality of MP3s will be 190 kbps or more, why not?

On the other hand, expactations of the people may be in audio CD format. It's hard to make a decision but if the quality won't be very low, I prefer MP3 data.

Isn't 192kbps close to a good quality sound? I can fit 15 songs on a audio cd and much more on a data cd with mp3s (plus menus, links etc). At one point in time i was thinking of making two versions.. one audio one data. But that could be more work in the long run.

Oak Knoll said:
Isn't 192kbps close to a good quality sound? ...
it's close, but only concerning the mp3s, you can encode them in 256 or 320 kbps, actually the higher bitrate the better, but still how can you compare it with the original masters/wave file quality (if it's the source), some people can not even hear the difference, but it's there...
dozey.gif

as for the good sound quality i think is a lot better not only to target good sound quality, but what is best! :) of course it's up to you...
here's is a spectrum analyser graph i found on the net that shows some differences

comp-all.gif

I usually rip my mp3s into 192 to save space. Also I use joint stereo vs stereo - I wonder what the difference is. I guess I can ask others who make data mp3s to hand out as free samplers - what rate they use. I'm still toying with this idea of a mp3 freebie cd. There is so much good music out there. I need more voters - then again - maybe I should make both versions :cool:

Oak Knoll said:
I usually rip my mp3s into 192 to save space. Also I use joint stereo vs stereo - I wonder what the difference is. I guess I can ask others who make data mp3s to hand out as free samplers - what rate they use. I'm still toying with this idea of a mp3 freebie cd. There is so much good music out there. I need more voters - then again - maybe I should make both versions :cool:

You could do what Century Media did with Metal for the Masses Vol. 2. Familiar with that?

What did CM do with their sampler? I have an opportunity to put my releases (a song from the bands) on the next CM sampler.

I always have too many tracks - I wonder how much space 10 tracks would leave for mp3s?

Oak Knoll said:
What did CM do with their sampler? I have an opportunity to put my releases (a song from the bands) on the next CM sampler.

I always have too many tracks - I wonder how much space 10 tracks would leave for mp3s?

Well, CM released a double-disc collection. One disc housed about 17 songs, and the other disc had a shitload of mp3's (a couple hundred). You could do that if it proves to be viable financially and practically... :wave:

Oak Knoll said:
great idea.. i was thinking along those lines one audio cd and the other data
i'd need some kind of packaging though.. double sleeve?

Yup, that would work, and would allow you to get a lot of bands out there. Put the best ones on audio. ;) As long as I get a copy to review, then I'll be happy. :loco:

Oak Knoll said:
I have an opportunity to put my releases (a song from the bands) on the next CM sampler.

I would highly recommend doing this if you can, cause CM has a lot of financial muscle to market their releases. I'm sure you'd see a surge of sales after putting your label's bands on it. At least, I would hope so!