Wacken reviews?

I am leaning towards this view, and I would definitely go for a killer lineup. I always heard horror stories from years ago about ditches dug in the back of the grounds where there was a river of piss and waste, but maybe that doesn't happen anymore. No way the wife would be up for it though.

She can stay home.

Oh they do have the ditches, it's just a matter of camping nowhere near them, which is easy if you show up on Wednesday instead of Thursday. We were fairly close to one of those in 2008 but definitely had no problems. Most people just find a bush to pee in instead.

Yeah make sure you don't tent camp next to any bushes or by the big ditch. Camping isnt too bad but you are cramped in really good and I like to get a little sleep at night and that doesnt happen at Wacken. Next year I am bringing heavy duty boots. They do have showers and pay toliets if you don't like the port a johns. Buy a shower/shitter card its cheaper.

What is the travel company...and how does the bus thing work?
BTW I live in Cleveland...where are you at?

The company I used was Argon Travel out of England. www.argon-direct.com
I had very good luck with them, used them twice, and they took good care of everyone.
The way it worked was, I flew into Hamburg, took the train/subway to the Reeperbahn, and met the group there. Got on the bus in the morning, and back on the bus at night. Pretty easy. The hotel was pretty decent, no AC though - but did have a free breakfast. If you do it, make sure you try and get a room that is not on the street. It is the red light district and gets pretty loud at night, and since there isn't any AC, the windows are open.

By the way, I'm in the Columbus area.

The company I used was Argon Travel out of England. www.argon-direct.com
I had very good luck with them, used them twice, and they took good care of everyone.
The way it worked was, I flew into Hamburg, took the train/subway to the Reeperbahn, and met the group there. Got on the bus in the morning, and back on the bus at night. Pretty easy. The hotel was pretty decent, no AC though - but did have a free breakfast. If you do it, make sure you try and get a room that is not on the street. It is the red light district and gets pretty loud at night, and since there isn't any AC, the windows are open.

By the way, I'm in the Columbus area.

Thanks for the info...I have gone twice once in 2000 and 2008. Both times I have stayed at hotels between Hamburg and the festival and ridden in with some German guys...I never heard of a bus that would do that...and it sounds very interesting and in case I go back and don't have the luxury of riding with German guys maybe I will look at this option. What time does the bus pick you up and take you back?

There's not even much up about it on the BG forum, except that they've already sold 10k tickets for Wacken 2010 with one band confirmed.

Who is the one band announced for 2010?

Actually, that description makes me want to check them out...

In Extremo is an amazing band, regardless of what anyone says. Its Minstrel Metal! That thing written about them makes them seem kinda silly & hoaky, but its no different from Eluvitie having a hurdy-gurdy player and an old, balding man playing flute & screaming.

Check out In Extremo. of all the metal bands to incorporate odd instruments in their music, they are the best.

Thanks for the info...I have gone twice once in 2000 and 2008. Both times I have stayed at hotels between Hamburg and the festival and ridden in with some German guys...I never heard of a bus that would do that...and it sounds very interesting and in case I go back and don't have the luxury of riding with German guys maybe I will look at this option. What time does the bus pick you up and take you back?

Anytime - glad I could help.

As far as pick up and drop off - I honestly don't remember. There are usually 2 buses - an early and a later one. The early one will get you there right about the time the first band goes on. As for leaving, it's right around when the festival ends - I think. I was usually on the first bus out (I was tired!) :p

In Extremo is an amazing band, regardless of what anyone says. Its Minstrel Metal! That thing written about them makes them seem kinda silly & hoaky, but its no different from Eluvitie having a hurdy-gurdy player and an old, balding man playing flute & screaming.

Check out In Extremo. of all the metal bands to incorporate odd instruments in their music, they are the best.

:headbang: Some good ones...

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw Running Wild's set list on Metal Set Lists web site, fuckin great. Too bad they are done. Maybe when they reunite in five years and Rolf realizes that his new band Toxik Taste is going no where and that they are a Pretty Boy Floyd rip off Running Wild can come and play ProgPower. Also read Gromen's review.. Heaven and Hell and Nevermore sounded killer. I wonder what all of these crossover bands think about the big boys that headline over them in Germany since they do not get much recognition in the states.

OMFG NO!!! Say it ain't so?! Please don't even tell me one of the best
ever Power Metal bands from germany, Running Wild, broke up so Rolf
COULD DO THIS SPOOGE?!!! BRING BACK RUNNING WILD!!! That shit SUCKS!!!!:ill:

Yes! Very sad! *Very Sad & Pathetic! A Rather shallow attempt at making music!* (in Stewie Griffin voice)
Oh & me too! I never EVER got to see them live either! Been a big fan way back in the day when I first heard "Gates To Purgatory"!!! I'll just say this, I'm very open minded about a lot of Metal & music , in general, to a certain extent, but this TRULY SUCKS DONKEY BALLS compared to classic Running Wild, or ANYTHING by Running Wild!!!:mad: Rolf WTF:OMG: