Symfonia

I just heard about this today through Blabbermouth. I am so fucking beyond stoked for this. Blind Buy, no questions asked.

Reading Andre Matos' rider for recording cracked me right up. Mad stuff!

"Things got off to a bit difficult start because André has been singing with a certain piece of art right next to him since he left ANGRA. It is a famous painting by Salvador Dali called 'Madonna of Port Lligat'. So we had to FedEx that from Sao Paulo [Brazil] for him and that took some time.

"André is a massive Dali fan, so I understand this completely. Also he wants two cactuses and two other any kind of plants on the floor next to him where he is singing."

Whatever works, I guess. You'd think if the painting (a print, I assume) was that important he'd have brought it with him.

'

News bulletin posted on the Symfonia website Feb 11. 2011

Worldwide deal

Edel Germany GmbH, in co-operation with Hamburg based international marketing office IAM - International Artist Marketing, is proud to announce the signing of a worldwide distribution deal (excluding Asia) with Symfonia for their debut album „In Paradisum“.

Carrying the legacy of names such as Stratovarius – Angra – Helloween and Sonata Artica, Symfonia is one of the most awaited metal bands to make their debut this year.

Recorded and mixed in Sweden, Finland and Italy, the album “In Paradisum” carries the legacy of this incredible group of musicians who have written some of the most successful and exciting pages of the last 15 years of heavy metal.

For all the fans who can´t wait for the release of the album on April 1st, Symfonia will reveal their music in their player on www.symfonia.fi commencing February 25th with snippets of various songs from the forthcoming album being made available every Friday.

Symfonia will make its world premiere on February 18th, 2011 at the Finnish Metal Expo, an international metal meeting, where they will take the stage at 11pm in the evening.

Timo Tolkki, guitar player, and producer of the album says: “I am extremely happy about the signing with Edel Germany and IAM and taking the next step in my career. I believe we have now gathered a team that enables Symfonia to bring its music to a wider range of audience around the globe. We have worked very hard for six months for this album and we think it is a positive and powerful and yet has a fresh and melodic approach. Last time I felt like this was when I signed the first international record deal with Stratovarius back in 1991. A lot has happened ever since but the ship sails on to a new horizon with new and positive energy and we cannot wait to get “In Paradisum” released and take it on the road.”

"In Paradisum" CD cover:

IN-PARADISUM-COVER.jpg

Even the CD cover is direct continuation to Stratovarius CDs (Intermission, Elements 1 & 2) I'm not going to say anything about music until I've actually heard the CD at least half a dozen times... really don't know what to expect...

I'm not a big fan of the album cover... especially the statues. However I hope the band lives up to the expectations considering the members and their past works are concerned.

I really like the album cover and I hope as well that the music lives up to the talent of the guys involved. This is a mega super group for power metal fans. This could be the Mr. Big of power metal.:loco:

From http://www.bravewords.com/news/156917 :

Former STRATOVARIUS guitarist Timo Tolkki's new band, SYMFONIA - featuring ex-ANGRA vocalist Andre Matos - have updated their website to stream the new song, 'Pilgrim Road'. Check it out at this location: http://www.symfonia.fi/

Symfonia made their live debut at the Finnish Metal Expo on February 18th. Fan-filmed footage is available below:

BW&BK scribe Mark Gromen checked in with the following update from the show:

"The Finnish Metal Expo was the site of former Stratovarius guitarist Timo Tolkki's resurrection, alongside vocalist Andres Matos (ex-Angra), the new Symfonia debuted material from their forthcoming album to an enthusiastic crowd. A return to the power metal format, the live setlist was as follows:

'Fields Of Avalon'
'Come By The Hills'
'I Did It My Way'
'Dreamspace'
'Rhapsody In Black'
'Stratosphere'
'Santiago'
'Pilgrim Road'
'Forevermore'.

A complete, in-depth review of the FME weekend, along with photos, will be posted on BraveWords.com in a few days."

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps i am in a funk or something but this disc is average at best to me. For the talent this band has, i was looking for something way more memorable. One listen and i had enough, it will get lost in my collection. Very disappointing to be blunt.:(

Perhaps i am in a funk or something but this disc is average at best to me. For the talent this band has, i was looking for something way more memorable. One listen and i had enough, it will get lost in my collection. Very disappointing to be blunt.:(

I had the same reaction. Timo essentially wrote the average Stratovarius disc for these guys.

I'm with you. I've listened to it three times, and sort of forgot about it. It's not bad by any means, just nothing that I got into. One of those where the numbers all add up to something I should like, but it misses somewhere.