Better Know A Band: Arcturus

After picking up La Masquerade Infernale (like it, but still growing on me) and listening to Sideshow Symphonies on Rdio (love it - definitely adding to my to-buy list!), I'm really looking forward to this. :kickass: Considering how much I dig bands that fall under the avant-garde label, I really should have checked them out sooner.

After picking up La Masquerade Infernale (like it, but still growing on me) and listening to Sideshow Symphonies on Rdio (love it - definitely adding to my to-buy list!), I'm really looking forward to this. :kickass: Considering how much I dig bands that fall under the avant-garde label, I really should have checked them out sooner.

Check out their DVD "Shipwrecked in Oslo" so you have an idea of what to expect from them in a live environment. One of the best concert DVDs out there! =)

Hellhammer is one of hardest working drummers, he is always playing in multiple bands at the same time.

I have the Arcturus' 1996 release "Aspera Hiems Symfonia" and the song off that album "To Thou Who Dwellest in the Night" really got me hooked. Unfortunately, they never toured the U.S.

Please take a listen to the first track on Ulver's debut album Bergtatt "Capitel I: I troldskog faren vild". Nice clean vocals for a black metal album.

The discography for each member of Arcturus is quite impressive to look at. They have alot of project between them.

One of the bands I didn't know from the line up. But I checked out Sideshow, and I can't stop listening to it. Seriously great stuff. Can't wait to listen to their earlier work.

The following is from Ulver's Facebook page (Garm's main band). http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ulver/31166220421

The third album, Nattens madrigal (“The Madrigal of the Night”), saw the band returning to a black metal style similar to Bergtatt. Unlike on Bergtatt, however, the only acoustic instruments appear in a brief interlude in the first track. The album is intentionally underproduced, akin to Darkthrone’s Transilvanian Hunger, with buzzing guitars and rather muffled drums. There are rumors surrounding this album and its recording, the most famous being that the band recorded this album in a forest. A lesser-known rumor is that the band purposely recorded the album on a four-track cassette recorder and used the money that Century Media gave them for other things, like Armani suits, haircuts, cocaine, beer, and/or a new car. When questioned on this matter, Garm only affirmed that the band have expensive tastes.LOL

Arcturus and Sanctuary is all i had to read for my ticket purchase. This year will be interesting if the Arcturus crowd comes that is for sure! I am beyond stoked, although i am wishing Garm would make an appearance on vocals.

One of the bands I didn't know from the line up. But I checked out Sideshow, and I can't stop listening to it. Seriously great stuff. Can't wait to listen to their earlier work.

This. Sideshow Symphonies is the only Arcturus available via eMusic and I purchased it recently. Just listened to it while working, and this is some serious headphone music. I really didn't expect to like it, but was pleasantly surprised. This year's PPUSA is getting better all the time...!

This. Sideshow Symphonies is the only Arcturus available via eMusic and I purchased it recently. Just listened to it while working, and this is some serious headphone music. I really didn't expect to like it, but was pleasantly surprised. This year's PPUSA is getting better all the time...!

It's a very good album, but the mastering is literally the worst I've ever heard.

I found Arcturus in 2005 and they became my favorite metal band of all time. I have nearly all the releases that can be had that aren't ridiculously priced. I don't think the band really knew what direction they wanted to head in until The Sham Mirrors. Sadly, one album later; that's as far as they went. I'm really excited about the re-union show at ProgPower XII and I'm traveling over 700 miles just to see them and then I'm leaving,lol. The mix on Sideshow Symphonies is indeed "different", but it's not as bad as people say it is and through 5.1 channels, it sounds better. -Luke

The mix on Sideshow Symphonies is indeed "different", but it's not as bad as people say it is and through 5.1 channels, it sounds better. -Luke

I agree. 5.1 makes a big difference. I was on the fence with this one until I heard it through my receiver. I still don't like the vocals too much, but it is a good album.

The "Shipwrecked in Olso" DVD is formatted for surround sound. It sounds dry in regular TV speakers but sounds much better through surround sound. The bass was definately an improvement on Sideshow Symphonies. -Luke

I found Arcturus in 2005 and they became my favorite metal band of all time......I'm really excited about the re-union show at ProgPower XII and I'm traveling over 700 miles just to see them and then I'm leaving,lol. -Luke

Luke, I'm a big fan of Arcturus as well. They are probably my most anticipated band at ProgPower this year, but I really encourage you to stay for a few more bands than just them.

I mean, power metal might not be your thing but I could easily see Voyager, While Heaven Wept, and Therion appealing to you greatly. Give those bands a go before you just see one band and call it a night.

I never noticed anything particularly wrong with the sound on Sideshow Symphonies - a bit compressed, maybe? La Masquerade Infernale, however, I find really hard to listen to, despite liking the songs. :(

Luke, I'm a big fan of Arcturus as well. They are probably my most anticipated band at ProgPower this year, but I really encourage you to stay for a few more bands than just them.

I mean, power metal might not be your thing but I could easily see Voyager, While Heaven Wept, and Therion appealing to you greatly. Give those bands a go before you just see one band and call it a night.

I have to see most of the bands before Arcturus comes on,lol. I like most of the bands playing. I'm just super-siked about this re-union show! I'm selling my Saturday ticket with Therion headlining to help pay for my travel expenses to go to Atlanta. -Luke

Kinetic is a perfect opener IMO. Radical Cut has that epic key solo. They could play the whole album and I'd be happy.

I never noticed anything particularly wrong with the sound on Sideshow Symphonies - a bit compressed, maybe? La Masquerade Infernale, however, I find really hard to listen to, despite liking the songs. :(

The mastering of "Shipwrecked Frontier Pioneer" is a disaster. It's noticeably quieter and muddier than anything else on the album, and there's an unintentional click at the end that's impossible to ignore. The live version on Shipwrecked in Oslo sounds so much better that it's like listening to a different song.