Wah-Wah

sonofhendrix13

some loser
Jul 1, 2004
Gloucester, MA
I'm thinking of buying a wah-wah pedal. I know its not typically used in metal but alot of what I play is classic rock so I will apply it that way.

Anyway, I'm wondering if I should buy an standard wah-wah pedal or an auto-wah. I've tried both and I can tell that the standard wah-wah sounds slightly better but its so hard to use while playing. So, would it be better to buy an auto-wah pedal?

Are you speaking of the auto wah that simply does the back and forth sweep that you get with a wah, or are you speaking of the envelope controlled filter that follows the dynamics of your playing and opens and closes the wah effect?

Both will produce the same sound, though you will have to work with the autowah a little bit in order to control the voltage to get the sound you want; and, make sure to use the distortion pedal (if you're using one) BEFORE the autowah or else the wah will be forced wide open (you may also get the same effect if you using super distortion pickups).

i personally prefer the pedal version (where your foot controls the effect) and once you get used to it, the versatility of expression is a lot cooler.

as you said, its used more for metal purposes, but i'd really recommend the one i got: Morley Bad Horsie 2 Contour Wah. it sounds wicked on my clean funky stuff and still rips with overdrive.

i'm not really a fan of the automatic effect wahs that just sweep up and down continuously without any user control