<waits for the CD to arrive>

Cheiron

Jan 11, 2006
Mid-may for preorders... hoping it comes soon. I only recently ordered it. Maybe I ordered it too late to get the preorder release. Can't wait to listen to it though!

I believe all orders prior to the "street date" (i.e. date it will be in stores) are considered preorders.

The label told me promos will start going out next week. They had originally said preorders would start shipping at the same time. So I'm thinking you'll get it soon.

Thanks so much for the support (as always)! I eagerly await your opinion/review. :)

Rock on!

I got mine. Listened to it only once so far. As with Re-Driven by Fate it will take many listens before I absorb a good enough portion on to form a decent opinion. First listen indicates that the level of musicianmanship is high. I'm not sure how I'll take the 'speaking' in the background in the long run, either I'll like it or I'll ignore it or it will bother me... probably one of the first two, the compositions are interesting with some lines that will become memorable after a few listens (I have the worst memory for songs... which makes playing by ear hard, but after one listen I remember some sections of the songs, and I remember the mood of the songs even if not the notes/riffs played ), and I enjoy the repeating musical themes. The first few songs all tend to blend together, but not in a bad way, just in a conceptual way. I can be picky as hell when it comes to distinguished songs, but I think what does it for me is that the riffs on the songs are different, but as I said just above there are repeating themes, and I think the mood tends to be similar on the songs. Most likely I'll skip Ode to Joy in the future as I'm not really a big fan of that song. Though, around the middle of the song I really enjoyed the interpretation.

Being how much I love Re-Driven by Fate, only time and repeated listens will tell where this one sits.

Lengthier review to come later (I think).

But here's where I currently am with it :

- Currently sitting with Zero Hour's latest as the best progmetal album of the year.
- Tony Kakko sounds incredible on the song he sings on. And it totally fits the song and was an excellent choice.
- The guitar playing is excellent. Their playing can be fast, technical, and still interesting. Something that eludes a lot of players.
- I can't compare it to Redriven by Fate and that's why I've been so slow to write a review. Two completely different albums, which is very commendable. The problem is that I'm such a fan of the instrumental tracks on that album, that it's unfair to compare. I mean you have no idea how it makes me feel everytime I listen to the acoustic versions of Paradise Lost chapter 4 and Utopian Rust. Such amazing songs. No song on this album hits me in that same way. However, Deathanity is more consistent overall.
- I'm glad I can understand what's going on in the lyrics this time. On Redriven by Fate there were tracks that lyrically I just didn't get (hey at least I read the lyrics, most bands don't even entice me to do so). I think that the lyrics are good. But I'm going to have to read them through closer (most bands I wouldnt' give a damn, so that meant hey are at least on the good level, whereas most bands are no the 'suck' level).
- I'm a fan of Matt's voice. No doubt. I think the album is composed in a way that makes it all work. However, I would have liked to have heard more sinister Matt. When Matt goes evil with his voice he's amazing (as he has done live). Maybe they'll experiment with this more on the next album. Some thrashy-prog, or prog-doom or something like that just to show even more how talented this band is.
- I'll freely admit that the album hasn't fully sunk in yet. The album has so much going on, so much compositionally, that its going to take a while till I really completely 'get' it.
- I look forward to the next album :)