Want to learn how to make DIY recordings w/ an amp.

Robert W

May 13, 2009
Ok, first let me start off by saying I do not have any idea on how to make a proper DIY guitar recording w/ a mic'd amp. That said...

Up until now I've been getting by w/ a GuitarPort and Riffworks, but after having trouble w/ both, I feel it may just be easier to start making my recording w/ a real amp. What I'd like to be able to do is mic an amp and record it onto a DAW just like I'm doing now w/ my Line 6 stuff.

I have a PreSonus Audio Box here that I've never used. Can I use this as DI box? If so, what would be the easiest way to accomplish this.

Also, if anyone has any links for beginners tutorials that would be great too.

Almost forget, I need an amp recommendation as well. Don't need anything loud, as I'll be recording at "bedroom" levels. As for tone, I like to get a nice saturated tube sound. Yes, I know that is nearly impossible at low volume levels :D, but just thought that it might be helpful to know from a recommendation standpoint. Price is a concern for me atm, so $350-$400 is pretty much my limit. I figure though that there probably aren't any low cost tube amps in that price range that sound good at low levels, so I figure a solid state amp might be a better choice.

As for mics, the Shure 57?

The Audiobox can be used to record (bad) DI tracks. Just plug your guitar straight into the instrument jacks. You won't be able to reamp from it though, since you always get some of the input signal going through the outputs even with the mixer knob set all the way to playback = feedback loop.

And yes, Shure SM57.

Wow, that's pretty much exactly what I need and was looking for!

I'm looking to get a decent doom metal tone, and may probably want to run a Tube Screamer and an EQ with that as well.

Have you had much personal experience w/ this amp? If so, any pros or cons come to mind?

Pros: It's 5 watts. You can turn the thing wide open in your bedroom (at a reasonable hour and barring mean parents/spouses/kids/dogs) and record at the volume it sounds best at. It sounds pretty good, too, for the price.

Cons: It's a bit confusing to dial in sometime, what with the Marshall/Mesa knob and all.

The Audiobox can be used to record (bad) DI tracks. Just plug your guitar straight into the instrument jacks. You won't be able to reamp from it though, since you always get some of the input signal going through the outputs even with the mixer knob set all the way to playback = feedback loop.

And yes, Shure SM57.

Could you please recommend a better DI unit then?

I don't really need anything high tech. I just need to be able to mic an amp and record it using the simplest recording app I can find, as my tech rating/knowledge is really low. ;)

Please bear in mind I've been using Riffworks for the last couple of years, and have gotten spoiled by it.

Metalfanat1c

After listening to those clips you linked me to, I have to admit to being a bit surprised by how good the majority of them sounded. Especially when one considers that it's a 5 watt amp.

Dialing in a tone is not my biggest concern, as I've have a basic knowledge of how to come close to the tones I like. What I really need to learn how to do is mic and record an actual amp.

Well as far as micing the amp goes theres a whole world of different options. As with all things of this nature it's mostly down to personal preferance.

Anyhoo, micing 101:
For a start I would definately stick with a 57, you just can't go wrong with it if your recording rock or metal. When positioning the mic I usually start by setting the distance from the amp, putting it colser to the speaker cone will give it a bassier sound due to the proximity effect. I'm guessing your in an untreated room so try and avoid placing the mic too far back as you dont want to pick up too much of the rooms natural reverb. I find that I usually get the best results about 1" away from the grill.
Next your going to want to decide where to place the mic horizontally. If you gradually move the mic away from the center of the cone towards the edge you will notice a huge differance in tone. Personally I like to keep it right between where the dust cap and the cone meet. I would spend some time experimenting with this and a/bing some recordings of different positions.
Finally, alot of people seem to like using the 57 off axis by rotating it around 45* to the left or right so that the side of the capsule is facing the speaker. I've never bothered with with this so I can't say how it would alter the tone, but you might want to try it if you can't find a tone that you like using the first two steps.

I hope this helps a bit, I'm sure some other members could post something a bit more in depth.

Also, if your looking for some free recording software I would recommend;

Audacity:
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
Free software for basic recording/editing

and

Kristal:
http://www.kreatives.org/kristal/index.php
A decent free multitrack recorder with support for VST effects plugins

Chainsaw Calligraphy,

Thanks for the links.

As for the mic advice, it is much appreciated. I had read getting the "Clayman" sound sticky and found it pretty interesting. Something I'd like to try out some day? Have you used this method?

As for recording, it's going to be all done in my home. No untreated rooms.

As for the stuff I'm going to be recording, I really want to keep it as low-fi as possible. Just need to get my riffs recorded and send them off to the drummer so he can do the beats for them.

Right now I'm just using Riffworks. Don't know if you're familiar w/ this app, but it very, very easy to use. Just track a riff and them assemble it at the top using block icons. All you have to do is make sure the riffs flow into each other, and you can just build your song in blocks. Only problem is that Riffworks is temperamental with vista. That and I've been having problems w/ my POD Farm recently that I've yet to get fixed. This is why I want to make the transition from POD to a real amp.

Almost forget, I need an amp recommendation as well. Don't need anything loud, as I'll be recording at "bedroom" levels. As for tone, I like to get a nice saturated tube sound. Yes, I know that is nearly impossible at low volume levels , but just thought that it might be helpful to know from a recommendation standpoint. Price is a concern for me atm, so $350-$400 is pretty much my limit. I figure though that there probably aren't any low cost tube amps in that price range that sound good at low levels, so I figure a solid state amp might be a better choice.

FWIW, i'm selling a krank rev jr. on here in the classifieds for $350

25W, all-tube, bad as fuck...i hate to get rid of it, but i'm trying to raise funds for a peavey 5150. PM me or email at ironklad.audio@yahoo.com if you might be interested!

Can't say that I've ever tried Nordström's setup. I'm in a home studio here so a 5150 and a 4x12 isn't the most practical setup :( Generally I try and avoid micing up amps as I have a pretty ghetto setup. For studio stuff I get better results from recording through a tube preamp then using impulse responses for the poweramp/cab tone.
As for the software, I've never used Riffworks, but you will easily be able to get the same results using something like Kristal. To be honest, for what your trying to do it sounds like micing up an amp would be an unnecessary hassle. If its just for making ad hoc recordings of your riffs I would stick to something like a cheap preamp or an amp with a recording line out and run that straight into the AudioBox. It's not that the mic/amp setup is a bad idea, it's just that it will cost more and be more hassle.

Can't say that I've ever tried Nordström's setup. I'm in a home studio here so a 5150 and a 4x12 isn't the most practical setup :( Generally I try and avoid micing up amps as I have a pretty ghetto setup. For studio stuff I get better results from recording through a tube preamp then using impulse responses for the poweramp/cab tone.
As for the software, I've never used Riffworks, but you will easily be able to get the same results using something like Kristal. To be honest, for what your trying to do it sounds like micing up an amp would be an unnecessary hassle. If its just for making ad hoc recordings of your riffs I would stick to something like a cheap preamp or an amp with a recording line out and run that straight into the AudioBox. It's not that the mic/amp setup is a bad idea, it's just that it will cost more and be more hassle.

I've recorded 3 albums using the GuitarPort/Riffworks combo, and I'd probably continue using it if it weren't for these weird sounds I started getting out of Line 6 gear the other day.

As for a preamp/amp w/ a line out, that sounds like a great idea. Have any recommendations?

Also, wouldn't using a distortion pedal be more practical than using a tube screamer for low volume/line out recording?

Just remembered I got Recabinet. I could those w/ a pre-amp/amp w/ a line out, couldn't I?

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rocktron-Gainiac-2-Guitar-Preamp?sku=180769
Could I, for example, use this preamp, run a line out of it into the AudioBox, and into a DAW?

Well the Audiobox is fine if you just want to mic up an amp with a 57, but I what I mean is that any interface with the same spec and price range will be better. I'd probably go for the M-Audio Fast Track or something similar (I upgraded from the Audiobox to a Fast Track Ultra and I love it.)

Well the Audiobox is fine if you just want to mic up an amp with a 57, but I what I mean is that any interface with the same spec and price range will be better. I'd probably go for the M-Audio Fast Track or something similar (I upgraded from the Audiobox to a Fast Track Ultra and I love it.)

I'll look into it then.

Chainsaw Calligraphy,

Thanks for the links.

As for the mic advice, it is much appreciated. I had read getting the "Clayman" sound sticky and found it pretty interesting. Something I'd like to try out some day? Have you used this method?

As for recording, it's going to be all done in my home. No untreated rooms.

As for the stuff I'm going to be recording, I really want to keep it as low-fi as possible. Just need to get my riffs recorded and send them off to the drummer so he can do the beats for them.

Right now I'm just using Riffworks. Don't know if you're familiar w/ this app, but it very, very easy to use. Just track a riff and them assemble it at the top using block icons. All you have to do is make sure the riffs flow into each other, and you can just build your song in blocks. Only problem is that Riffworks is temperamental with vista. That and I've been having problems w/ my POD Farm recently that I've yet to get fixed. This is why I want to make the transition from POD to a real amp.

You should try out REAPER. I only say this because if you have a problem or a question on how to do anything there are tons of people on here that do use it and can help you.

rfahey86,

I DL'd Reaper too.

I'm just starting to learn how to use it though. Got tons to learn.