War And Peace

11350 more pages to go! doing this one for a "choice" book report. i decided to choose the biggest book i could find, being an avid reader, i wanted something challenging. it's pretty good so far, but i wish they WOULD STOP THE FRENCH DIALOGUE! it is really annoying. but, i hope to have it finished in 2 weeks. anyone else actually read this epic russian masterpiece?

I have tried but haven't found the complete edition.got a really crappy one but I do love russian novels,specially dostoievski

It's a fucking stupid book, war and peace.

There was a huge debate about it (i think it was me that started the thread) on the Opeth BB.

It's a totally hypocritical and ironic book. It's all about mind conditioning, and how a person thinks for themselves, and yet the book is blindly worshipped by every scholar with a pipe and a pair of glasses. There is hundreds of better books out there, and yet people have been conditioned into thinking "WAR AND PEACE IS A CLASSIC I HAVE TO READ IT I AM A SHEEP WITH NO MIND".

Longest book(s) I've ever read was the Wheel of Time series. Actually, I didn't read the whole thing. I read the first book, which ruled, the second was pretty good, the thired was ok, the fourth was pretty good but slow, and I got halfway through the 5th before I realized......

What a fucking waste of time these books are. I mean, what the fuck, he's doing 13 fucking 800 page books. How the hell can someone keep reading these Fantasy books? They have no goddamn substance! They're just a story, which is cool and all, but if you're gonna dedicate yourself to reading THIRTEEN HUGE ASS BOOKS, you CLEARLY have no life whatsoever. I got halfway through the 5th book and said to myself.. "Wow, I simply dont care about what happens enough to subject myself to reading all this shit."

What a complete waste of time. I'd rather read something I can get something out of. Goddamn.

lizard---yeah, those are good too

brooks---that's about where i got in the series too. i just made up my mind that i would read the rest over a long period of time because reading them all in a row would be just plain sickening

trapped---are you saying the book sucks or the people who praise it???

Originally posted by Black Winter Day

trapped---are you saying the book sucks or the people who praise it???

...A little from column A, a little from column B.

The book's meaning has been negated by the people who blindly praise it.

Do you not see it as ironic at all?

the longest book ive read was probably jurasic park when i was like 13 or somthing. im not really a fan of reading. my mind starts to wander and i forget what i just read. i never read the books in high school just wrote papers full of bullshit. that gets you better grades anyway. english teachers fucknig LOVE bullshit. make your paper kind of out there and confusing and you'll get a good grade every time. they'll be like 'i read your paper a bunch of times to make sure i got it blah blah' they'll think since they didnt fully understand it must be brilliant or somthing. crackheads. i used to like to read when i was younger though. like late elementary school and junior high i read a bunch of books.
-neal

I think it's okay to disagree with people who consider some books as classics but on my own opinion and for what I have read I think war and peace is quite good(as all other russian literature from the 19th century) tho it has some slow things and all but it's still good
Tolstoi was a very good writer,that can't be denied

A little known fact is that Tolstoi originally wanted to name it "War, What is it Good For", but his mistress made him change it to "War and Peace".