Was Black Sabbath really the conceptualiser of Dark Music?

genocide roach said:
stravinsky's rite of spring is the posterchild for dark "classical" (he was a late romantic era composer). it is my firm belief that he is the god father of the modern death metal sound
~gR~

Amen. I love that peice so much....

Another "dark" piece which is quite accessible is Mars by gustav holst.

The Rolling Stones had elements of occult theme into their music. Even so, songs like "Sympathy for the devil" sounds very happy. :D

Susperia said:
Could anyone name some composers of really dark Classical music? It's something I've been meaning to look for myself. But with school and everything...

Most modern classical could be defined as dark. Try Ligeti's requiem--the darkest piece of music I know of. Other good ones include:

Gorecki 3rd sym

Penderecki: St Luke Passion

Lutoslawski: any

Samuel Barber: the infamous Adagio for Strings

Messiaen: A quartet for the end of time

Xenakis: Orestia,

Bach's Toccata in Fugue in D is most likely the most infamous piece of dark music ever composed.

Ive always found Grieg to be at times incredibly melancholy, same with all the Scandinavians from Sibelius to Nielsen.

Benjamin Britten: his operas like Turn of the Screw are quite dark.

Laangaard: Music of the Spheres excellent overlooked work, not too dark, but something one should definately check out.

One could make the case that all of Schoenberg's music is depressing due to its very harsh nature.

Of course Medieval choral music like Hildegard Von Bingen, and others.

Ill think of more, especially if someone else starts up naming other composers.

Unfaithfully Metalhead said:
with vocals/lyrics... of course some classical music was dark but that wasn't considered occult or doom... i mean yes the Funeral Marche by i think Chopin was gloomy.. but hardly anything compared to Sabbath...

I never really thought the Funeral March was that gloomy. Try Night on Bald Mountain.

My previous post is gone, buess it got lost in that update thing. I mentioned In the court of the crimson king by king crimson. 1969, it talks about a dystopian future, and then it travels backwards in time, which doesn't get much prettier. Highly recomended. Lyrical example:

The wall on which the prophets wrote
Is cracking at the seams.
Upon the instruments of death
The sunlight brightly gleams.
When every man is torn apart
With nightmares and with dreams,
Will no one lay the laurel wreath
As silence drowns the screams.

Between the iron gates of fate,
The seeds of time were sown,
And watered by the deeds of those
Who know and who are known;
Knowledge is a deadly friend
When no one sets the rules.
The fate of all mankind I see
Is in the hands of fools.

Confusion will be my epitaph.
As I crawl a cracked and broken path
If we make it we can all sit back
And laugh.
But I fear tomorrow I’ll be crying,
Yes I fear tomorrow I’ll be crying.

going further back, I really can only point to stuff like classical and minor blues.

apparently my post got lost too in the update.

I was just going to agree with most of the classical stuff mentioned, and also emphasize the dark and/or occultic nature of a lot of early blues.