Was Black Sabbath really the conceptualiser of Dark Music?

Birkenau

New Metal Member
Aug 11, 2004
Australia
Frequently I hear that Black Sabbath were the first band to use dark 'occult' themes in their music, and that all the other bands pre-Black Sabbath only ever sang about love and all the other positive aspects of life. Is this true? Considering the increasing popularity of music post-WWII one would think that there would have been musical dissents who did not want to write lyrics around the normal themes. I'm thinking that Black Sabbath was the only band to really achieve a commercial status and bring dark music into the mainstream, while there was a relatively small underground scene using occult subjects in their music, just not receiving any attention due to their lack of musical skill or inaccessibility to a mainstream audience.

Décadent said:
C'mon, heaps of classical music has very dark, depressing themes and most of them suceed much better than anything by any metal band.

True words.

To me, Sabbath was the conceptualiser of the doom/stoner style... still probably my favorite band of all time. The s/t album is just undeniable.

they speak the truth. dark tones and topics of the occult were used many decades before metal. one only has to look at the romantic era to see that. even some trace beginings as early as baroque.
~gR~

Could anyone name some composers of really dark Classical music? It's something I've been meaning to look for myself. But with school and everything...

High On Maiden said:
btw everyone: he said first BAND.

with vocals/lyrics... of course some classical music was dark but that wasn't considered occult or doom... i mean yes the Funeral Marche by i think Chopin was gloomy.. but hardly anything compared to Sabbath...

High On Maiden said:
btw everyone: he said first BAND.

Lets see here:
Frequently I hear that Black Sabbath were the first band to use dark 'occult' themes in their music, and that all the other bands pre-Black Sabbath only ever sang about love and all the other positive aspects of life. Is this true?

No, this is not true. And see the link I posted.

Susperia said:
Could anyone name some composers of really dark Classical music? It's something I've been meaning to look for myself. But with school and everything...

stravinsky
mahler
wagner
paganini

stravinsky's rite of spring is the posterchild for dark "classical" (he was a late romantic era composer). it is my firm belief that he is the god father of the modern death metal sound
~gR~

A shitload of Progressive/Psychedelic Rock that spawned just before Black Sabbath were quite dark and occult, though it's not a genre that particularly interests me. Led Zeppelin, however, was very into the occult.

genocide roach said:
stravinsky
mahler
wagner
paganini

stravinsky's rite of spring is the posterchild for dark "classical" (he was a late romantic era composer). it is my firm belief that he is the god father of the modern death metal sound
~gR~

paganini was insane on that damn violin. like buckethead x 10

In heavy music, black sabbath is one of the first true realities on drug,alcohol abuse in heavier music around the time. Drug/alcohol is evident in heavy music. Black Sabbath has made it open in heavy music to explain problems. Regardless or not if black sabbath is overrated. They connect with lots of people. You could say the same with other 60's,70's bands. The thing is BS had the message more directed to metalheads.

Other than that they started a new style. They brought something to more people. Majority of bands could not connect with later generations like black sabbath did.

BS is more important now than any bands with similiar message.

I dug the Gloomy Sunday link~

I should point out that in respects for more modern dark classical The Church of Satan's site sells such things.

Also I think Covenant should be at least mentioned speaking of "themes" as they used a Satanic gimmic (more convincingly than Venom) before Black Sabbath's time. Though their music was by no means as "dark" as BS.

VomitBubble said:
I dug the Gloomy Sunday link~

I should point out that in respects for more modern dark classical The Church of Satan's site sells such things.

Also I think Covenant should be at least mentioned speaking of "themes" as they used a Satanic gimmic (more convincingly than Venom) before Black Sabbath's time. Though their music was by no means as "dark" as BS.

Actually they were called "Covent".