I find Black Sabbath albums "Black Sabbath" and "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" to be BARELY metal albums

It's nearly 6pm on a Friday arvo, he's probably hopped on his push bike and is trundling home with his drink bottle helmet on firmly and his little bell dinging away on the handlebars to let people know he's coming.

Reactions: CiG
Come on, guys. Let's get back to the topic.

When it comes to early Sabbath, they had a ton of blues influence. Tony Iommi's guitar playing was very bluesy and heavily influenced by Jimi Hendrix, who played bluesy acid rock. It wasn't until Stained Class that metal started to really discard the blues elements and become locked into a "style". So I consider Stained Class to be the first pure metal album and the most influential record on the sound of NWOBHM.
Metal sprang from 70's Black Sabbath, but they were much more than just a metal band. Dio-era Sabbath is something totally different than early Sabbath, it was pure 80's heavy metal without blues elements.

Sabbath invented the metal genre, but I disagree with the statement that all metal music is influenced by 70's Black Sabbath. Power metal has zero musical influence from early BS. I could also say that classic 80's heavy metal was much more influenced by Deep Purple's "In Rock" than Black Sabbath's "Paranoid".

Reactions: Grievous
If they invented metal, they therefore influence all metal.

What power metal are you referring to exactly? I hear Sabbath influence on say, Manowar's debut. Or does that not count? The problem here is when you start citing albums as examples when those albums were primarily influenced by earlier albums in the genre that had more Sabbath influence in them, but by the time it becomes the kind of power metal most people would recognize as such, the filtering process has happened.

"Children of the Grave" and then in '74 with "Symptom of the Universe" are both heavy as fuck songs with a faster tempo than Sabbath usually has, and the latter even sounds like a proto-thrash song.

What power metal are you referring to exactly? I hear Sabbath influence on say, Manowar's debut. Or does that not count? The problem here is when you start citing albums as examples when those albums were primarily influenced by earlier albums in the genre that had more Sabbath influence in them, but by the time it becomes the kind of power metal most people would recognize as such, the filtering process has happened.

Manowar is not power metal. First power metal band is Helloween and their album Keeper of the Seven Keys: Part I from 1987 is the first power metal album. It sounds nothing like early Sabbath.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
Manowar isn't power metal?
Surely the only place Manowar isn't power metal is in wikipedia.
And surely if Helloween were the first power metal band that would make Jericho the first power metal album.

Well colour me educated.
What other pearls of wisdom have you got?

Actually anyone who would argue against those two statements is pretty much a dunce. Walls of Jericho is not a full on power metal album and Manowar are not really a power metal band. You yourself have said they're "epic heavy metal", numerous times.

Manowar are a USPM band, and his statement up there is just another example of how he seems incapable of understanding that the bands who start genres won't sound the same as the bands they influenced. Hail to England is blatantly a power metal album, released 3 years prior to Halloween's sophomore, and that's just one example.

Anybody who thinks power metal begins in 1987 just straight up has no clue what the fuck they're talking about. :lol:

comparing one of the bands that created a genre to a band that inspired a subgenre is pretty ridiculous imo.

So are Dio, Priest and Iron Maiden Power Metal bands?

And LMFAO for implying that Hail to England is a fucking power metal album. Sounds like you're the one here who has no clue.