I find Black Sabbath albums "Black Sabbath" and "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" to be BARELY metal albums

Texas King

New Metal Member
Dec 5, 2019
IMO Black Sabbath debut album has only two songs that I would label as metal: title-song (maybe the first metal song ever) and The Wizard. I don't consider other tracks as Behind the Wall of Sleep, N.I.B., Evil Woman/Strange World, Sleeping Village and Warning to be metal at all. Most of these tunes are far too bluesy to be metal to me. Sabbath second album Paranoid is much more metal than the debut.

When it comes to Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, half of the 8 tracks on the album have nothing to do with metal: Fluff, Spiral Architect, Who Are You and Looking for Today. While SBS has some heavy moments(title track and Killing Yourself to Live), it was a very mellow Sabbath album compared to the previous three albums. That album sounds very sophisticated, unique and it incorporates many diverse music elements to be labeled as plain heavy metal.

Your thoughts?

You're judging arguably the first metal band based on how the genre would eventually sound a decade later? That's already wrongheaded.

"Warning" and "Evil Woman" are covers so of course they won't be good examples of metal, Sabbath's debut isn't really viewed as a full metal album as far as I'm aware, more like you pointed out that the album introduced some examples of heavy metal to the world in a more clear form than heavier bands previously gave us.

Your point about Sabbath Bloody Sabbath seems to imply you don't think heavy metal can be diverse, unique, sophisticated or incorporate different musical elements. Not sure why you came to that conclusion.

In regards to what the OP was saying, Paranoid, whilst certainly more "metal" than the S/T album, contains its fair share different musical elements as well. Planet Caravan & the title track are a couple of good examples. Moreover, Master of Reality has songs such as Solitude, Orchid & Embryo (which I've always considered to be the intro for Children of the Grave, personally). Vol. 4 also has tracks such as Changes, Laguna Sunrise & FX which aren't exactly metal either. So yeah, as CiG said, no real need to look at the albums retroactively like OP has done.

tl;dr - Sabbath are THE original heavy metal band. Anyone who disagrees is just simply wrong 1,000 times over.

Reactions: CiG
Paranoid is a metal song brah. And having a song like Planet Caravan doesnt really question the fact that Paranoid is pretty much one of the first full on metal albums. Most metal albums(especially from back then and even today) might have a song or two that wouldn't be a considered metal ala Planet Caravan, but that doesnt mean we get to question the album on a whole

Reactions: CiG
Paranoid is a metal song brah. And having a song like Planet Caravan doesnt really question the fact that Paranoid is pretty much one of the first full on metal albums. Most metal albums(especially from back then and even today) might have a song or two that wouldn't be a considered metal ala Planet Caravan, but that doesnt mean we get to question the album on a whole
Paranoid a metal song? Hm... borderline imo.

You're judging arguably the first metal band based on how the genre would eventually sound a decade later? That's already wrongheaded.
I have to agree with this statement.

Judging early Black Sabbath albums by today's "standards" makes no sense...
and shows a fairly limited understanding of the "causality" & evolution of music
as a whole.

When Sabbath started out one could argue that they were "laying down a blueprint"
for the entire genre of metal music that was to come...with early Sabbath albums
basically being metal music in an "embryonic" state.

I personally find the diversity & experimentation on those early Sabbath albums to
be quite refreshing by today's standards as metal as a genre can become stagnant
& repetitive fairly quickly.

Similar bands churning out similar sounding albums can get incredibly dull very
quickly.

But then these are just my own opinions...and I don't claim to be an expert on the
genre. In fact I'm not an expert on anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: jimmy101
I have a feeling that OP has only listened to Sabbath for the first time very recently & was expecting them to sound a lot different to what they do.

Reactions: Grievous
As DJ Quik once said, I don't eat coochie.
Oh, so you're one of those guys who has "the fear"?

You're missing out bro, having a woman sit on your face is one of the great pleasures in life!

I have a feeling that OP has only listened to Sabbath for the first time very recently & was expecting them to sound a lot different to what they do.
That's a fair call.

Incorrect. Do you know how many different subgenres/styles of metal there are out there today? Metal is a very diverse genre of music.
Yes...I know how many sub-genres & styles of metal there is...what I
was saying is that many metal bands are afraid to experiment once
establishing themselves in a certain sub-genre/style.

Oh, so you're one of those guys who has "the fear"?

Nah that's Tech.

You're missing out bro, having a woman sit on your face is one of the great pleasures in life!

I might agree but I don't trust your idea of what a woman is. You probably offer up your face as a seat for when cross-dressers do library story time with the kiddies.

Reactions: jimmy101