Washburn USA Dime3

LSD-Studio

HCAF crusher
Jul 2, 2006
Germany
www.lsd-tonstudio.de
damn, I've just put new pups (EMG) in my Dime3 and rstrung it....
actually the first time I'm really playing it (got it used)...
what can I say....DAMN!
this is easily one of the best guitars I've played so far!

Smooth creamy mahogany-tone with TONS of definition...I've just played "Autumn Leaves" with gain on 5 the Stein (massive amount) and can totally hear all the notes of all those 13th chords etc..no mud, only definition and punch.

I didn't like mahogany guitars too much cause they never have the attack of a good alder-bodied axe and sometimes tend to be muddy...not this baby...I'm happy ;)

Yeah, I can't stand the look of 'em, but they feel really nice, and in my experience sound pretty killer too (a friend of mine has a Dime-o-Flame, and even with the Dimebucker it sounds really good). You say you prefer Alder over mahogany, Lasse? What are your thoughts on basswood?

does anyone know how different the dean ones are to the washburn ones? ive got a razorback 2 tone, with the dimebucker in and its very mid-high end orientated, it certainly doesnt have the thud and power for chugging as my yamaha or ltd. its got the mahogany body but it really doesnt sound like it!!

Oh yeah, on that note, what the hell is the deal with Dean and Washburn having such similar models? Were they once under the same ownership or was Washburn like Alexi with ESP, where Jackson had the Rhodes V shape but ESP just made one for Alexi when he was there endorser?

Oh yeah, on that note, what the hell is the deal with Dean and Washburn having such similar models? Were they once under the same ownership or was Washburn like Alexi with ESP, where Jackson had the Rhodes V shape but ESP just made one for Alexi when he was there endorser?

Well, as you probably know, Dime used to play Dean in the early Pantera days (most notably the ML '81 which became known as the Dean From Hell and a ML '78 which became known as the "Far Beyond Driven" axe).

After the founder Dean Zelinsky sold the factory in 1986, the company basically went down the crapper in the nineties (same as happened to B.C. Rich).

So Dime was offered an endorsement by Washburn in the mid Nineties (after he was neglected by B.C. Rich and Jackson) and he changed over to them. But since the Dean ML already being Dime's dream guitar he told them to just copy the looks and most of the specs.

After the revival of Dean in the late Nineties and the return of Zelinsky to the company, Dime returned "home" to Dean in 2004 shortly before his death.

He handed in his designs for the Razorback to Dean but he got killed before they were done.

... and that's how the story goes.

I, myself, own a Dean From Hell CFH and it's just an overall great guitar.

I have a DimeSlime 333 from Washburn and it was a good guitar from 1997 when I bought it to 2006 when I put the Dimebucker in the bridge.

It became a GREAT guitar!!! The neck is fantastic (as it were before the change of pickup, of course!) and now plugged either in a PodXT or a real amp, it sounds powerful on the rhythm distorted sounds as in the clean and quiet ones.

Shame for that Floyd Rose, I hate the whole system just for the high maintenance it requires....