Washington state honors Norwegians

Øjeblikket

Apr 10, 2005
Pacific Northwest
http://access.wa.gov/leg/2005/Mar/n2005229_5973.aspx

...Norwegian culture is alive and well in the Pacific Northwest.

The Senate yesterday approved a resolution that applauds the achievements of Norwegian-Americans, celebrates the centennial of the independence of Norway and highlights a unique cultural event to be held in Washington.

Scores of Norwegian-American singers will descend on Mt. Vernon this summer for the 96th Annual West Coast Sangerfest. A dozen choruses will travel hundreds of miles to participate in the festival to be held on Friday, July 1, 2005 at McIntyre Hall, Skagit Valley Community College.

"We come together to celebrate fellowship and enjoyment of these songs from the old country," said Sid Iverson of the Skagit Valley Mannskor, the host chorus of this year's festival. "These songs honor our cultural heritage, and we take joy in sharing them with the community."

[...]

"Those of us who grew up in Scandinavian communities like Stanwood, Ballard and Poulsbo [those are cities in Washington state] know how important these Norwegian male choruses are," said Sen. Mary Margaret Haugen, D-Camano Island, sponsor of the resolution. "Although the first Norwegians came to North America 1,000 years ago, it took them a little while longer to get to our beautiful part of the country. But when they came, they came to stay, and Norwegians are still an asset to our community."

I thought some of you Borknagar folk might appreciate the respect and history, although the news is after the fact.

p.s., come see Seattle.

!

I hope you enjoyed your visit. This is the best time to visit since both the Olympic and Cascade mountain ranges are visible, whereas all our other seasons consist of rain, rain, and more rain, which has the effect of covering the horizen in a grey shroud, which is enjoyable in itself.

In my opinion the better parts of this state (Washington) are on the Olympic peninsula, which is the body of land that welcomes the pacific ocean; Seattle is located inland, adjacent to the puget sound. The Olympic peninsula is also colloquially referred to as "bigfoot" country. Particularly around the Sol Duc river valley, which boasts looks like this:

http://www.naturalbornhikers.com/Rainforests/srltreachingbranch.jpg

If your visit was on account of a concert I missed, then I'll really feel silly.

-- Oh yeah, for no real reason whatsoever I wanted to add that there is a strange and fascinating sea serpent theme going on around this area. I found this one, ironically, next to my wife's place of work -- in Ballard.

32093565_72068f6dc9_m.jpg

as further evidence of this recurring theme, there is this fountain, which is located less than a mile from our home, which we found, again, by coincidence.

33454939_30d50db033_m.jpg

here, truly, there be dragons and bigfoots!

:headbang:

Our goal is to conquer North America from our base in North Dakota, and force you all to eat fresh blodklubb (blood dumplings). We shall then proceed to enforce a ban on using the 'z' sound in any word, and we shall all take the same days off as folks get in Norway. When's the last time you had Ascension Day off? I thought so...

George said:
Doesn't exactly explain why but it really doesn't matter.

The primary reason is that Norwegian emigration to America didn't really kick into full speed until around 1850, and that most Norwegians who emigrated in that first wave were cottars. A cottar is basically a farmer without a farm. They often moved farms every few years, and worked for the owner of the farm. They were given a little bit of land to produce for themselves while they lived and worked there. The problem inherent in the system was that there was next to nothing passed from generation to generation--certainly no land.

So, we have a population of people who know how to farm, but don't have a farm. The first major wave of Norwegian immigrants settled in what was (at the time) about as far west as regular farmers settled---pretty much the Wisconsin/Southeast Minnesota regions. After the Homestead act passed in 1862 (I believe), word of free farmland made it back to Norway through people who had already immigrated. Also, the travel industry heavily promoted the idea of travelling to the USA for free farmland---railroads and steamship companies advertised heavily. The last 25 years of the 19th century saw Minnesota and the Dakotas become heavily settled by Norwegian farmers.

By the early 20th century, much of the good farmland had already been taken. Even in 1905 when my great-grandpa Oksendal moved to the USA, he had slim pickings for farmland in the area where he settled. In the ensuing years, children of farmers had to find some sort of career. As always, there was a finite amount of land, so some had to find an occupation other than farming. Many moved to Washington, which offered more jobs than the Dakotas and Minnesota. During the Depression, many failed farmers also moved further west in search of more stable employment.

Washington had a Norwegian presence somewhat concurrently with settlement in the Upper Midwest, largely due to ports and shipyards (Norwegians are also traditionally pretty good sailors). It also doesn't hurt that the climate of western Washington and coastal western Norway are very similar. Many who had initially settled in, or were born in the Dakotas and Minnesota found the Pacific Northwest more inviting.

From points in the Upper Midwest and the Pacific Northwest, Norwegian-American settlement dispersed fairly evenly across the western United States. In the case of the Dakotas, there has been a consistent outflow of population since the 1930's. These people tend to settle in western states, which explains why the western USA has a higher concentration of Norwegians than the east.

Of course, this is very much a macro-view. There were Norwegian settlements in New York, Pennsylvania, Texas, and of course in every other state in the union. The Upper Midwest, and the Pacific Northwest, however, were the main hubs of Norwegian-American Settlement and the bulk of the 4 million odd Norwegian Americans passed through these areas.

Most of this migration happened in the course of about 75 years, from around 1850-1925. WWI put a damper on immigration from Norway, as did the Great Depression in the 1930's. There was a very small burst of immigration after the end of WWII, but in the 60 years since the end of WWII, economic conditions in Norway have improved to such a degree that immigration to the USA is barely a trickle.

I hope this answers your question.