Watershed booklet to contain no lyrics!

this whole lyrics-secret is going to be a disaster for tribute bands... how on earth could we cover Heir Apparent without CORRECT lyrics??? pffff I hope that Mikael will somewhat change his mind and spread the correct lyrics to us little bastards;)

this whole lyrics-secret is going to be a disaster for tribute bands... how on earth could we cover Heir Apparent without CORRECT lyrics??? pffff I hope that Mikael will somewhat change his mind and spread the correct lyrics to us little bastards;)

Just growl some "WRONG BAYS! WRONG BABES! WRONG LIMES! WRONG HAT!" and stuff like that.

This thread is unbelievable... I never thought not printing the lyrics (which a lot of bands have done for various albums) would result in such a lot of bitching.

Personally I couldn't care less anyway, since I don't think I've ever sat down and read Opeths lyrics... they're not the reason the band appeals to me.

I like reading along with the lyrics when I listen to an album for the first time. Makes it easier to get further into the music. So I'm a little disappointed. That said, many bands never release lyrics, so it's not that big of a deal. We'll probably have a Watershed lyrics thread where we try to figure it all out anyway.

I like reading along with the lyrics when I listen to an album for the first time. Makes it easier to get further into the music. So I'm a little disappointed. That said, many bands never release lyrics, so it's not that big of a deal. We'll probably have a Watershed lyrics thread where we try to figure it all out anyway.

+1

lyrics are probably the worst part of the album. mikael said himself that he wrote them all in one night... why wouldn't he spend more time on them? I have no idea but Watershed definitely has the least meaningful lyrics to me. I was disappointed with the depth and meaning of the ghost reveries lyrics but watershed is like devastation. compare the lyrics of porcelain heart with a somewhat similar song like a fair judgment and it's just different... in a bad way. I don't think mike cares as much about the lyrics anymore... only vocalizing them to sound a certain way to go with the music. Not that the music and vocals on Watershed don't still convey a certain meaning or feeling but one of my favorite things about Opeth was the beautiful poetry behind the screaming.

lyrics are probably the worst part of the album. mikael said himself that he wrote them all in one night... why wouldn't he spend more time on them? I have no idea but Watershed definitely has the least meaningful lyrics to me. I was disappointed with the depth and meaning of the ghost reveries lyrics but watershed is like devastation. compare the lyrics of porcelain heart with a somewhat similar song like a fair judgment and it's just different... in a bad way. I don't think mike cares as much about the lyrics anymore... only vocalizing them to sound a certain way to go with the music. Not that the music and vocals on Watershed don't still convey a certain meaning or feeling but one of my favorite things about Opeth was the beautiful poetry behind the screaming.

Umm... Didn't he say in the interview in the OP that the lyrics on the new album are quite personal? How would that make the lyrics less meaningful than before? :guh:

Umm... Didn't he say in the interview in the OP that the lyrics on the new album are quite personal? How would that make the lyrics less meaningful than before? :guh:

i guess i don't understand why the lyrics would be crafted so hastily and unpoetical and that makes them less meaningful to me. take burden for instance, i like this song and how it makes me feel when i listen to it. but when i really listened to the lyrics and looked online... a lot of it just doesn't make sense and it seems like a bunch of 1 liners mushed together, unlike the lyrics of deliverance or most other albums where there was coherence and relation of lines within the stanzas.

This thread is unbelievable... I never thought not printing the lyrics (which a lot of bands have done for various albums) would result in such a lot of bitching.

Personally I couldn't care less anyway, since I don't think I've ever sat down and read Opeths lyrics... they're not the reason the band appeals to me.

It's bitchy, yes, but then again -- we do care an awful lot about OPETH and their songs don't we.

Opeth was much better when Mike took time on the lyrics. Ghost Reveries was a major let down lyrically... if only he would have finished the damn concept. Watershed sounds a bit better....but now I wont be able to tell in some areas. lol

I must agree that there are a lot of cheesy moments in Porcelain Heart. I mean, all that "don't you cry" business etc...

theres no way metal lyrics arent cheesy.

anyway, not really too dissapointed with this actually. still lookin forward to my preordered copy.

edit: actually just thought that the forum will be 10 times more flooded with lyric translation threads and 'hey guyz does anyone know the lyrics to watershed' etc etcetcccccccccccccccc

Hmm, I didn't think previous releases were very cheesy. The "don't you cry" line is the epitome of cheese, for me.

I like to have printed lyrics just in case a word isn't clear, there are a few occasions where I haven't quite been sure about a lyric and it's bugged me until I look it up. I also like to read along to lyrics the first time I properly listen to an album, just as a way to focus on listening to the music.

I do worry this will become a bit like the situation with the last Tool album, where loads of people argued about individual words - for example whether it was 'Eye on the TV' or 'I own the TV'. Even though it was clearly the former and it made more sense, people were convinced it was the latter. Not that big a deal though I guess, if you can just be happy with knowing you're correct and letting other people be dumb.

I hope eventually the lyrics are published somehow though.