Watershed Released

got my SE copy today, and it says "02.06.08" on the stamp instead of "03.06.08" (which was the date on the revealed artwork from opeth.com).

I just listened to the whole CD (except the bonus tracks). First impressions:
- there's lots of folky elements.
- is that really mike singing? wow, his singing has improved once again.
- more singing than growling this time.
- the growls that are there are more aggressive than any growls on previous albums.
- the oboe/flute/violin/cello adds a nice touch. as does nathalie.
- many a harmonic progression and melodic turn that you have heard this way or similar before ... but also lotsa new stuff!
- no "lopez beat". nowhere.
- but very precise, very fluent, and sometimes fast and furious drumming.
- the songs flow one into the other as if it was a concept.

hello all,

my first post. so who is singing on "coil" w/Mike??? i don't know the voice or the name. thanks!!! saw both Terminal 5 shows in NYC, fucking fantastic.

mike - "if you don't like the scorpions, get the fuck out"

My package from The End still isn't here, but I bought the regular edition (because I'm sad and will have three versions of it) and gave it a listen. It sounds like it's going to take some getting into... more experimental than usual, and some stuff they haven't really done before. I agree that it sounds like a concept album, there's links between some of the songs.

No Lopez beat, and also the lead work from Axe is something we've never heard the like of in an Opeth album. He's very good, but I don't know whether I like the style of it in an Opeth album. There's lots of other flashy lead guitarists doing the same thing and I've actually always liked that Opeth's lead work is less flashy and more soulful than the shred stuff that loads of other people do.

Still, I need to give it a closer listen, I was trying to do the code in the booklet so I wasn't giving it my full attention.

who is singing on "coil" w/Mike???

Natalie Lorichs

just wanted to say that i got the SE and the 5.1 is great. this album is fucking fantastic, so new, nothing that i expected, sounds great. the singing is great, just a great experimental record, i loved GR but i love this record so much