Waveburner / CD crackle question

-Noodles-

3 Initals Mixer
Dec 20, 2007
hey,

Recently I've been making CDs of a live performance that I recorded - however, I noticed today when checking some of them that there seems to be distortion on the CD tracks.
Naturally, I went back into the Waveburner sessions and checked - the Peak level is -5, and the rms is around -10. There's no audible clicking or distortion anywhere on the tracks.

Anyone got an idea on what's causing the problem?

[I need to have them finished by tuesday,.. so if anyone's got help that would be really appreciated.]

Thanks.

I've just recently ran into this problem too, but with just copies of commercial CD's. I sounds like clipping but seems like it's almost random. Not sure what it is, but I think it's just errors during the burning process or something.

In my own CD player, things are fine, but my friend's player and other friend's truck cd player made the noise. WUT?!

Sorry guys - I couldn't find the topic I made.

I got it half sorted on SoS.

The newest version of Waveburner, using AIFF stereo files, and I'm running a 2.5GHz MacBookPro.

The way I solved it was to back off the limiter and compressor so that the peaks were about 3dB less that stated in the first post.

Sorry I didn't come back to this topic sooner, been really busy and not been in the mood to search!
Thanks guys!

did the master bus clip when you bounced in your daw? you may need to bounce the tracks again after examining your master bus compression/limiting settings and/ or your master bus level.

Tracks are fine on the computer, just when bounced to CD.
But, I did review the compressor limiter settings, and that seemed to fix it.

Just weird how it wasn't audible on the computer, but just on the CD.

sweet. i had the same issue actually. couldnt really hear the clipping trough my yammy hs80`s, but it was clip city on cd players. had to back off the limiting to fix the issue. ahh gotta have that perceived loudness!!!

sweet. i had the same issue actually. couldnt really hear the clipping trough my yammy hs80`s, but it was clip city on cd players. had to back off the limiting to fix the issue. ahh gotta have that perceived loudness!!!

I've got the same monitors :)

yeah, I have no idea what it could be - unless it's just distortion occurring through the burning process?

i think that good speakers and computers can handle audio a little over 0 db, whereas cheaper, consumer systems such as sony cd ghetto blasters will clip when levels come close to 0 db. because your soundcard has high quality converters, its not as obvious. ghetto blaster d/a converter... not so good. i remember reading this back in the day in a recording for dummies book, or something like that. don`t think its an issue with the burning process, as you noticed the effect gone after backing off compression.