wavelab 7

MetalSound

Nov 14, 2006
anybody using it?
i just installed it and absolutely hate it. they changed nearly everything. the whole workflow is different now and it all looks like a horrible mess. too much stuff you´ll never need when only mastering audio.
the only positive thing is that there can be more master plugins inserted than in version 6. intelligent bypass is also nice but i guess this was even part of wl 6.
i came from wavelab 3 and there is nothing worth the money for the upgrade (at least i can´t find anything aside from the two points above).

does anybody think it´s worth it?

I was actually wondering why I might need Wavelab or Waveburner. REAPER seems to do everything I need for mastering including CD burning but I can't help but feel like I'm missing something.

I've never had ISRC info actually be read by any device or software on anything I've burned from Wavelab or Waveburner so if that's what I'm missing, who fucking cares!

Sucks that you feel like it was a waste. Maybe you can get a refund? Wavelab 6 always annoyed me, so clunky to work with, ancient gui, nothing intuitive about it. If it's worse than that I'd demand a refund.

I really like that it has included DDP support now. Coming from Wavelab 6 I don't find the interface that confusing, but yeah they definitely changed it up a bit.

really?! i found the step from wl 3 to 6 not very big. but from 6 to 7 it was huge.
i don´t find intuitive anymore.
ddp is nice indeed although i never used it and even most labels still want the good old cd as a master.

@audiogeekzine: i actually got version 7 as a grace update for 29 euro so it´s not a big deal. ;) i was just wondering why they changed so much that was really great in the program.

I was just wondering about WaveLab 7 myself. Like the OP, I'm an old WaveLab 3 user. It was fine for me for years. But now that I've switched to Windows 7 on one of my computers, I can no longer use it??? So now I'll have to upgrade. No...I don't like change. :lol:

don´t know if you can´t use it anymore. unfortunately you missed the grace period (which ended 31 oct.). that was the last chance to upgrade from wavelab 3 at all.
now you have to buy a full new version which is really a shame for steinberg. there is no way you can upgrade from version 3 to version 7. you had to upgrade to version 6 (which is now not on sale anymore) and then go from there to version 7.

Demoing it right now. You can totally customize the UI, and I mean totally. It's killer, for those who understand the raw power of the mighty Wavelab, there can be only one.

Most importantly of all - Mac support!!!! Can I get an amen?

I was actually wondering why I might need Wavelab or Waveburner. REAPER seems to do everything I need for mastering including CD burning but I can't help but feel like I'm missing something.

I've never had ISRC info actually be read by any device or software on anything I've burned from Wavelab or Waveburner so if that's what I'm missing, who fucking cares!

Uhh, that's not exactly how it works. ISRC codes are read at radio station etc. to identify the artist for royalty payment. Who fucking cares? At least the artist, I'd say, if they ever want to get the money from air play :loco:

Uhh, that's not exactly how it works. ISRC codes are read at radio station etc. to identify the artist for royalty payment. Who fucking cares? At least the artist, I'd say, if they ever want to get the money from air play :loco:

It's 2010, wtf is a radio :confused:

My clients have never had their shit together enough to have barcodes and stuff. Any data (CD text?) I've manually typed in assuming a computer could read has never worked.

The duplicators would do it properly in the end I'm sure.

So what does Wavelab do that Reaper can't?

i think there´s a trial version of wavelab 7. you can download and try for yourself.
i never worked with reaper but i think it´s more a sequencing/daw than a dedicated mastering program?!

It's 2010, wtf is a radio :confused:

My clients have never had their shit together enough to have barcodes and stuff. Any data (CD text?) I've manually typed in assuming a computer could read has never worked.

The duplicators would do it properly in the end I'm sure.

Redbook burning? PQ sheets? Seriously. This debate doesn't need to be had. If you can't see what software like Wavelab, Peak and Waveburner are useful/necessary for, you obviously aren't in their target audience, and that's fine.

Whenever I send out a finished CD out for duplication, I want to know it's done right. I'm not a mastering engineer by a long shot, but due to the nature of the business, I often have to master my own work, and I'm willing to put in the time and effort to learn how it SHOULD be done, in addition to just slapping a limiter on the 2bus and making shit sound huge and br00tal.

Been to a Steinberg Wavelab workshop yesterday. Having never worked with it I thought it was kinda cool. You normally don't get this kind of analysis tools with your normal sequenzer. Also it has a cool notch filter plugin that you would otherwise only get with Nuendo. Slowing down stuff sounds ace. Interface is customizable. You can handle tons of files in batches in the background while mastering something different.
These are the most prominent features I remember right now. However, as I said, I never used it before and probably won't in the near future so I could have missed something important. Feel free to ask me if you want to know something specifically. There might have been some talk about features I can't think of right now but that might be important to you.

Redbook burning? PQ sheets? Seriously. This debate doesn't need to be had. If you can't see what software like Wavelab, Peak and Waveburner are useful/necessary for, you obviously aren't in their target audience, and that's fine.

Whenever I send out a finished CD out for duplication, I want to know it's done right. I'm not a mastering engineer by a long shot, but due to the nature of the business, I often have to master my own work, and I'm willing to put in the time and effort to learn how it SHOULD be done, in addition to just slapping a limiter on the 2bus and making shit sound huge and br00tal.

+1

Although I started using Wave Editor for Mac and it's really really good, simple interface, everything is easily reachable, fades, edits and markers are very very intuitive and easy to do. Plus, ddp export and loadback, redbook compliant, etc etc, it also features izotopes mbit dither I believe, although I dont use it, I dither after I sonically master, just before I start doing the cd montage.

And yeah, ISRC codes are important, not only for radio airplay but for digital sales as well, to keep track of how much was sold etc etc, so yes AGZ, it is important!