Waves API collection?

Joelegend

Joe not so legend
Jun 5, 2009
Belgium
The Waves API collection, is this a no brainer? I know it's been at a low price before, but now i've got the demo and been messing with the compressor on the drums of a new recorded song, and seems to do nice things to it. Is it worth the 250$/190€?

Love love love the compressor on shells - SO fucking punchy. The EQ's are also pretty damn good but I don't find myself using them that often for whatever reason.

Guys are probably going to come in and say that the comp sounds nothing like the real 2500 compressor - they always overlook the fact that the plugin still sounds fucking awesome.

I remember getting the Studio collection (API, SSL, and V) because I was originally going to just get the API and SSL but there was a sale that basically meant I got all 3 for the price of 2.
Turns out I liked the V the most out of the 3 :D
Great plugins.

I use the API eq's quite alot, the 550 is quite broad so good for general shaping rather than surgical stuff. I also tend to use the 560 eq for mastering.

Not really used the comp much myself, need to give it another go actually.

Love love love the compressor on shells - SO fucking punchy. The EQ's are also pretty damn good but I don't find myself using them that often for whatever reason.

Guys are probably going to come in and say that the comp sounds nothing like the real 2500 compressor - they always overlook the fact that the plugin still sounds fucking awesome.

This was my post verbatim. The comp kills. I don't care if it doesn't sound like the real deal.

Am I the only one who finds the v series plugins loud. Almost like a bad background noise. Fake tube sound or something. If i put the compressor on a vocal for example it seems almost like it's bringing out a ton of room/background noise. I've used the API 2500 Comp and agree it would be great from some fairly aggressive drum compression. The 5k Crack on the 550 eq is something that i haven't been able to recreate with any other eq. Just a slight 2db boost will bring a lot of "forwardness" to a snare track or alike. Not even saying i love it, but it does do something "special". As dumb as this sounds it almost feels like boosting is brightening with a hint of transient design, i know that sounds stupid but it's the way the eq sounds to me, very forward.

The 5k Crack on the 550 eq is something that i haven't been able to recreate with any other eq. Just a slight 2db boost will bring a lot of "forwardness" to a snare track or alike. Not even saying i love it, but it does do something "special". As dumb as this sounds it almost feels like boosting is brightening with a hint of transient design, i know that sounds stupid but it's the way the eq sounds to me, very forward.

Doesn't sound stupid at all - it's very likely a blend of EQ and saturation/distortion going on that brings out the stick attack and makes the snare sound like it was hit harder. Good EQs do that.

yea the 2500 comp. just fucking kills it. i always reach for it first for a master buss comp, and rarely do i find that it's not to my liking. it's really great for taking off a few db's before hitting a limiter on the master.

i know the hardware 550 EQ is the shit of legends, but i'm not a huge fan of the plugin...just can't ever quite get it to do what i want it to - however the 560 graphic can be great on certain shit, esp. guitar tracks

I'm rarely using the comp for whatever reason.
It's great, I'm just not thinking of it very often (it's always on piano tracks though!).
I like the 550 eqs a lot for vocals.
Not using the graphic much though.

i think the fact that everyone who has posted about them uses different plugs for different applications speaks pretty well to their versatility!

My guess it is worth buying then. The little i tried with em on the drums made em really aggresive, unlike some other (cheaper) comps i have, they seem to tame the drums. I don't care if they don't sound like the real stuff, i don't even know what the real thing does to your sound, and prolly never will. But i think a company like API wouldn't approve shitty plugins are made with their name on it?

I don't use the compressor much. I should start using it more, been using the V-comp on my drum buss lately.

The 550 eq's DEFINITELY have their own character. they aren't quite like the real ones, and I work on a vintage api with 40 channels of 550a's and 550B's. Amazing, but the software does a great job. A little 5K and 10K makes things cut quite a bit...

I just love the splat you can get on the snare with the compressor, it seems to really enjoy faster attack times on shells.

Parallel comp on the shells with the 550B into the 2500 is something I just cannot do without. EQ and comp to taste, but I like to do extremes with both in this application.

do you guys have any favorite settings for drums on that 2500 comp? It's got a ton of options. I'm gonna mess with it on my next mix so if there's a specific mode you guys like I may start with that and of course tweak to taste...

On snare I'm generally defaulting to attack at 30, release knob far left, loud/hard engaged, ratio at 6, threshold to taste. Tweak from there, mostly on ratio, threshold, thrust, and tone type. Toms generally get similar settings but with a faster attack and lower ratio.