URS vs WAVES

On a more theoretical level, would most of you guys be able to get by just with one channel strip plugin, like Metric Halo? Cuz you could just make more instances of it if you needed to do more eq'ing/compression/etc., so as long as it got the job done, it seems like that'd solve your plugin needs.

yes..
ive done some mixes im inredibly proud of using only MH chanelstrip, Smack! and Dverb

Oh no....no no no no no. Are you kidding me? You don't think dropping dough on a good set of plugs is good prioritizing? Holy shit.

Put it this way...do you think the stock/built-in plug-ins for whatever host you use are as good as Waves/MH/URS/etc.? If you answered "no", then dropping coin on a plug-in bundle is WELL worth it. Unless you have good outboard gear (EQ, Comp, Limiter, Verb, etc.) then you definitely need to have SOME kind of processing in the box other than built-in shit. Without processing, all you have is raw tracks. That sounds like shit unless you want that sound...and even then it still sounds like shit. Built-in plugs are "OK" at best...or rather, "good enough until you get Waves", lol. I can't see a reason why anybody shouldn't buy a good bundle of plugs. If you have the money, and yo don't have the plugs...buy them. You won't think they were a bad idea once you start using them and realize why they charge money for them.

As far as which ones...that's up to the user. Some plug-ins, even though they are software, still have their own character, even if it's really transparent. Like hardware processors, software plugs have their own little musical sound they add to the audio they are processing. Some people like how Waves' EQ affects the track, others like the URS eq or UA Neve eq. Same with comps. It's all subjective to the user. Just like guitars and amp, you need to try them out and see what you like or dislike about certain ones.

Thats just what I think anyway.

~e.a

Thanks for the tips man, but believe me, I'm well aware - hence why I said "spending more than $600 on software plugins alone really seems like poor prioritizing on my part." Since hearing the distortion that PTLE's standard compressor imparted to anything I dared taint with it, for example, I've been a changed man!