Waves Non-Linear Summer Test

Splat88

Jan 31, 2006
Vegas
I downloaded the new Waves NLS pluging and purchased after a couple days of use. I was just about to purchase Slate's VCC, but I decided to go this route instead. I still have yet to try VCC, but so far I'm impressed with what Waves is bringing to the table here. I've been using Nebula's CLC program on some tracks and on the mix buss, but its incredibly CPU hungry and I've done blind tests from mixes that I've done with Nebula and FAILED miserably on which track was the processed track. The Waves NLS is hardly as subtle.

In the processed track, there is an NLS channel instance on every single channel in the mix and also on groups. I used all three different channel types (Spike, Mike, and NEVO depending on which sounded best for each application. Mike is the shit on bass and snare durms, BTW. On the mix buss I going with NEVO and its driven pretty hard.

In the unprocessed track I still have a Waves SSL buss compressor on, but all instances of NLS have been disabled. This isn't really a true test since I mixed INTO the buss and then disabled it, so the processed track will naturally sound better, but I think you'll get the idea anyway.

Awesome and efficient plugin. Had it on every channel and CPU was not strapped at all like it would be with Nebula. Can't wait to dive into this some more.

Mixes are straight out of Cubase with no loudness maximization.
I'll be interested to see what you guys think.
With NLS
Without NLS

this seems pretty night and day to me. The with waves version definitely sounds more glued and a little bit filthy in a good way. The kick / Bass relationship is one of the more telling things too. The "with nls" version seems to help the separation between the two oddly enough to me, where as the "without" is still well done and defined but not quite as nice or separated sounding to my ears. I have to say the mix sounds pretty damn good either way though.

Your old gearbox era mixes reminded me alot of Terry Dates work in general, which imo is a good thing. So its interesting to see you going more in this direction when you were successful at making those old tools sound so good. I have vcc and think its cool but nls does seem really awesome, I love that they actually modeled the drift from channel to channel. I think its funny how stoked we all get on these plugs though. This really proves a good mix is still a good mix with or without them. Thanks for taking the time to do an A / B comparison. Also any general insight as to what you do to achieve that kind of kick bass separation would be enlightening.

Thanks for the detailed reply. I think you're right on with your observation of the kick and bass relationship with NLS. I do have a compressor keyed to the kick drum as my last insert on the bass track which ducks it a few dbs on every hit. That's helping with the separation quite a bit, but there is definitely something else going on with the NLS mix and I think its how hard I'm driving the bass on the channel track which is on the MIKE setting for what its worth. Its also adding a very tasty low end hump to it, but I have not taken the time to figure out what the frequency range is. The NLS NEVO mix buss is definitely doing favors for everything involved in my opinion, however, including kick and bass intelligibility. I really like the MIKE buss as well as long as you don't drive it so hard where you lose the high end. Even the SPIKE is cool, but you've got to take it VERY easy on the drive control because it will distort rather quickly.

Oh and BTW, I love Terry Date! Thanks man!

Really interesting to hear that you felt CLC was too subtle. I find the spectral effect a lot more apparent than VCC's 4k model. CPU efficiency isn't an issue here, as I bake the saturation into the tracks.

I think in this case your mix sounds better with the NLS, but that's a foregone conclusion if you've mixed into it. It's not really a fair showcase for the 'ITB' version.

Really interesting to hear that you felt CLC was too subtle. I find the spectral effect a lot more apparent than VCC's 4k model. CPU efficiency isn't an issue here, as I bake the saturation into the tracks.

I think in this case your mix sounds better with the NLS, but that's a foregone conclusion if you've mixed into it. It's not really a fair showcase for the 'ITB' version.

The only time I can really tell a big difference with CLC engaged or off is when I have headphones on. I've done blind tests in my car and I can't tell a lick of a difference so I'm just not certain its worth the trouble of using Nebula. My computer runs very poorly using more than a few instances of Nebula and printing tracks offline is maddening to me. How do you drive the input on your CLC mix buss? Do you ever use the drive control, or do you drive the input of the plugin?

And yes, this is hardly a fair comparison since I mixed into the NLS, but I didn't want to take the time to do a new mix.

By the way, I've finished reading your Systematic Mixing Guide and I love it. Its my new go-to reference so thank you for that.

Dude, stop playing around with new plugins and finish the goddamn album.

Damn, you are absolutely right. FUCK!!!!!!!!!!! Why am I wasting my time with this bullshit!!?!?!?!?!? I guess its just a lot of fun. Mixing those old tracks is no longer fun!

Mixing those old tracks is no longer fun!

Then get someone else to do it ;)

Cool to hear about the guide, and once again pretty interesting to hear about CLC. To me it's been the most obvious of all the 4k saturation products I've tried. You just have to bear in mind that it's mostly spectral - like putting on a preset EQ curve - more so than actually saturating the transients.

In any case, I'm glad you've got a new tool to mix with!

I don't know if it's just me, but after level matching these 2 clips I hear no real difference (headphones and monitors), which is the same experience I get when level matching tests I did with the demo, in some cases not having it on sounded better. Anybody else get the same thing?