Waves SSL 4000 at its lowest price ever.

I'm going to be honest and say I don't think this package is even worth $250. the GComp is worse than The Glue or VBC, the eq is worse than the one in Slate's VMR, and the channelstrip isn't as good as VMR, Duende, or MHCS. The only Waves 'vintage console' plugin I still like is the API 2500 comp.

I'm going to be honest and say I don't think this package is even worth $250. the GComp is worse than The Glue or VBC, the eq is worse than the one in Slate's VMR, and the channelstrip isn't as good as VMR, Duende, or MHCS. The only Waves 'vintage console' plugin I still like is the API 2500 comp.

Yup.

agreed theres better stuff out there these days although:

1. waves are pretty on the ball with updates/supporting the latest OS's etc. although I can't imagine there will be another big jump with most things at AAX and 64 bit now. still. its not my favourite SSL emulation but it'll basically always work in any DAW. SSL took a while getting AAX, slate can be even more erratic with getting things done quickly.

2. lots of big names are happy enough with the quality of it. MHCS isn't my favourite EQ but it gets the job done. slate VMR doesn't have a LPF, phase switch, input/output trims or a gate which are all pretty essential for a channel strip.

There's minute differences between all the licensed and non-licensed SSL emulations, and they basically model slightly different consoles in slightly different ways. don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

with all that said, duende is my favourite SSL channel strip. MHCS gets a lot of use from me. the IK one was surprisingly good. none of them will stop you making a great mix.

I agree with Jeff, but I kept my waves SSL simply for the fact I don't need an ilok, and they are super light. I use them for demo/prototyping, and then switch to better plugins for actual mixing. I still believe they are an awesome set of plugins. Irrelevant if you have alternatives of course.

I always wanted to have a channelstrip och demoed it. Purchased MHCS and the rest of their plugins. Much better. I guess Waves strip was a wow factor when it was released, but today? Meh!

I got the IK versions at a ridiculous price discount and I'm really happy with them. $250 for the Waves? Yeah, no thanks.

That is pretty low, but after learning about their WUP fees, and considering the alternatives, I'll pass.

I have IK british collection too and to me it works just fine. We can do a test with same settings if anybody has Waves or NI and an appropriate source track.