Waves SSL Vs. Duende

DanAbela

May 1, 2005
Essex
www.myspace.com
Hey,

I was wondering if anyone has A/B'd the Waves SSL plug ins against the SSL Duende plug ins? As both seem to be very interesting pieces of kit and would complement almost anyones plug in list.

So anyone have any thoughts or knowledge on these plug ins?

I wonder how much latency do this firewire gadgets add. And if the Duende has more or less latency than the Focusrite Liquid Mix.

I saw a thread somewhere about this Duende vs. Waves comparison. I'll check if I can find it for you.

the Waves SSL bundle is based on the analog 4000 series and captures the essence pretty damn well.

SSL Duende is based directly on the 9000 series.

generally most view the 4000 as being warmer, and having a more desirable "character"

personally, l'm going for the Waves bundle.. picking it up next week.

my mate bought the Waves SSL plugins last month and he has been raving about them , i love the E-channel and he uses it on everything.

very aggressive yet musical EQ and the compression has a wikkud snap to it

James Murphy said:

I think Ether meant that you shut down all the guys anticipating 'Duende' with your post.

I'm curious as to how the Waves ones sound. There was a thread on gearslutz where they compared the plug-ins to the actual gear and not many could tell the difference (from what I recall).

There's no chance I'll be able to afford them for a while though.

ive never used to the real thing... but i have the waves ssl plugs and they sound real good, i however noticed that duende after i had already bought it and got kinda upset, i like the fact that you can just save your cpu/

sorceron said:
ive never used to the real thing... but i have the waves ssl plugs and they sound real good, i however noticed that duende after i had already bought it and got kinda upset, i like the fact that you can just save your cpu/
nah, you made the right choice. 4000>9000 = WavesSSL>Duende.

I'll be getting a Duende system to test it as soon as it comes out on the market here in Germany. I have no interest in the Waves Plugins, though, so I won't be able to compare ... the demonstration I went to was utter shit. The Mac crashed due to the wrong OS being installed (they didn't have the newest version and Duende only runs stable on the newest Mac OS version ...).

ive had the waves ssl bundle since march and i really like it. super good and worth every penny. the mix bus comp. is my fave out of the bundle, although everything is useful. ive found that they dont really hog cpu resources that much, pretty efficient. id like to hear duende for myself at some point. i cant really picture having to use 32 channels of ssl plugs. i personally prefer the metric halo channel strip to the waves ssl channel strip on many sources. as with anything check it out for yourself.

unsilpauly said:
i personally prefer the metric halo channel strip to the waves ssl channel strip on many sources. as with anything check it out for yourself.

what do u prefer about it morE ? just the sound or the interface ? or both ?

really interested to know as i'm looking to get either one

A Toolish Circle said:
what do u prefer about it morE ? just the sound or the interface ? or both ?

really interested to know as i'm looking to get either one
i think the waves ssl channel strip would be better for rock stuff whereas i like the metric halo better for metal stuff. its just my personal preference. i dont think i would want to be without either though. i like them both alot and both get used. its good to have options so you can try new stuff and not do the same mix every time.