We need ProgPower: the cruise

adaher

Apr 18, 2004
Coral Springs, FL
http://www.sonicbids.com/shiprocked

There's a cruise leaving Ft Lauderdale in Nov. 2009 that will have Queensryche, Tesla, and Skid Row on it, as well as some up and coming bands that I've never heard of.

Glenn has always said he wants an intimate setting for metal fans to hear great music. Well, cruises are pretty intimate. It would be a BIT more expensive, I guess, but I figure my brilliant business plan should show the way:

1) Think up PP cruise idea
2) ?
3) Profit!

There's enough drunkenness and lechery enough when we still have to be responsible to get around in and around Atlanta.

Think of how much worse it would get when nobody has to be responsible for taking care of themselves for a weekend. And you know how a cruise is more intimate? Yeah...that's exactly the kind of stuff that goes on on theme cruises. (I have friends who go on some of the goth-themed cruises specifically because they can walk around and find somebody different to shag all day long.) The ProgPower rumor-mongering is bad enough as it is.

A fun idea, I just think it could end up being a disaster. Plus, the attendance would be a lot lower. I'm sure Glenn could tell you the numbers but a big part of this festival's attendance is the locals.

Edit: On the other hand, something like this has a totally open schedule. With a full weekend and fewer bands, it wouldn't have to be crazy work-work-work all the time for the crew (Glenn's crew, not ship crew). It could end up being an event where everyone gets a nice relaxing vacation AND really gets to appreciate some great music (more-so than a 6-band/night schedule festival).

There's a cruise leaving Ft Lauderdale in Nov. 2009 that will have Queensryche, Tesla, and Skid Row on it, as well as some up and coming bands that I've never heard of.

Glenn has always said he wants an intimate setting for metal fans to hear great music. Well, cruises are pretty intimate. It would be a BIT more expensive, I guess, but I figure my brilliant business plan should show the way:

2) ?
3) Profit!

Underpants Gnomes! Yes!

This would work if the cruise was in Europe. Unless you are willing to pay serious money to see Zero Hour headline this cruise, it's a non-starter. It would be a logistical nightmare to bring bands from Europe for a cruise. You would need shitloads of papework and permits to bring in bands from Europe because you are entering not just one jurisdiction, but three!. And, if there was a Vanden Plas incident with one of the bands, Glenn would be soooooo screwed. It's not like he'll be able to call Halcyon Way at 5 PM and tell them to be in Fort Lauderdale for the 6 PM departure.

And, if there was a Vanden Plas incident with one of the bands, Glenn would be soooooo screwed. It's not like he'll be able to call Halcyon Way at 5 PM and tell them to be in Fort Lauderdale for the 6 PM departure.

You're totally correct.

They'd need at least 3 hours' lead time. :lol:

Why do you think so many of us stay at the Granada? :lol:

Because when you're totally wasted, it's easier to stagger back and forth on one level than it is to climb the hill to the Residence. :heh: :saint:

2) ?
3) Profit!

uuum,mmmmmmm
Thats MY IDEA if I win a Power Ball lotto grand prize,and it would be affordable to everyone as it would kinda be a celebration for myself and me inviting nearly 1000 of my closest metal friends around the world.

This would work if the cruise was in Europe. Unless you are willing to pay serious money to see Zero Hour headline this cruise, it's a non-starter. It would be a logistical nightmare to bring bands from Europe for a cruise. You would need shitloads of papework and permits to bring in bands from Europe because you are entering not just one jurisdiction, but three!. And, if there was a Vanden Plas incident with one of the bands, Glenn would be soooooo screwed. It's not like he'll be able to call Halcyon Way at 5 PM and tell them to be in Fort Lauderdale for the 6 PM departure.

Not entirely true, yes shit loads of paperwork to enter the US, and then again maybe not, considering it is a cruise, and the bands would go from airport to boat, and as far as the other ports, just a passport to present if you leave the boat for sightseeing, they are not as strict as the US. You don't require a visa in advance, you get it when you step off the boat in a port of call.