"Wealth"

I think it's an excellent song, one of my favourites on the album. I love that "noise riff", it's a great contrast to the vocals and the verse. Coincidentally Sleeper and One Year from Now are my least favourite songs on the album. :p

SoundMaster said:
"Wealth" is one of Kat's lamest tunes, being that it has that unlistenable "noise riff". Anyone here really like/dislike it?

My favs on the new record are "Sleeper", "Ghost" and "One Year".

noise riff??
you probably don't listen much to metal, because the riff sounds pretty clear (though it IS heavy if you compare it to the others in the album)
... basically it's just a pure Opeth rip off.

let me guess, you also hate their first albums :]

now that i listen to it, i have to point out that electronic stuff is enchaned perfectly...right in the place...and it has a real katatonia vibe, doesn't even sounds like it's electronic so much.

I think I'm beginning to like the song's discordance and its effective lyrics. But it's indeed odd that one riff sounds quite similar to Opeth's "Deliverance".

my dying groom said:
...it's indeed odd that one riff sounds quite similar to Opeth's "Deliverance".

hmm, you're right, but haven't guyz mixed together for ages?
From the other hand you may say Opeth's peaceful moments derive not only a bit from Katatonia's... ;)

Wealth does contain the album's most dissonant riff, and, to these ears at least, is one of the more disjointed songs on the album, the slower section doesn't seem to complement it...the part where Jonas whispers over the heavy riff is cool though.

If you guys haven't read the interview with katatonia about the new album, they made some heavier songs, so they could play them at concerts. People tend to enjoy heavier stuff at concerts, and im sure its more fun for katatonia to play.

SoundMaster said:
Perhaps "noise" is a poor choice of words. The term 'discordant' is more appropriate, for sure. It first comes in at around :22 seconds into the song...
But am I wrong in thinking that Katatonia have been about dischords for a very long time? They do it so well, and that's what makes their song such a bitch to transcribe!

well to me too,Wealth just isn't a good song either....the riff does sound bad and the lyrics aren't too good either. Suppose the name filler works for this song.

Ormir said:
I think it's an excellent song, one of my favourites on the album. I love that "noise riff", it's a great contrast to the vocals and the verse. Coincidentally Sleeper and One Year from Now are my least favourite songs on the album. :p
My thoughts exactly. :D