webpage question

Baliset

guitar deity
Jul 31, 2002
New England
www.maudlinofthewell.com
to those of you who have experience with this stuff...

what is the best way for me to get myself a real webpage, aka not some cheesy geocities shit. i am talking domain name, server space, the whole works.

fuck dreamweaver. it's all about editing html at the most basic code level. don't be a patsy. all those graphic-based programs make unintelligible code that's way too heavy.

otherwise, there's lots of good webhosts out there. I use webmasters.com, but you might wanna check cnet ratings or something to find what's best for you.

Yeah, but HTML is *wicked easy*. Also try www.webmonkey.com , which has some fair-to-middlin tutorials on HTML basics, etc etc.

A domain name will cost you ~$6 / month and the server space should only be a little more than that. Shop around and you can find something pretty good in $10-15/month range...

exactly - basic html is totally easy. dreamweaver leads to more problems in the end, I think. Besides, there's lots of easy-to-use text html editors out there that make it very simple.

anyhow, you can reg a domain for $10-15 if you shop around, good webhosting costs ~$15/mo and up, depending on how much space, bandwidth, email you need.

you can learn the basic HTML tags in about two minutes, and an afternoon of reading a tutorial will teach you tables and all the other stuff you need to build a decent page.

i just registered a domain at dotster.com for $14.95.

on the subject, though...are there restrictions on registering countries' suffixes? like could i actually register wedding.af?

avi said:
exactly - basic html is totally easy.

i am agreeing and disagreeing. i think for Greg, and possibly most musicians, the grasp of the structure isn't going to be very difficult.

but i can't tell you how many people i know that are utterly confused by the concepts and refuse to touch the idea of a basic webpage, on their own, with a 10 ft pole. i know other graphic designers who tackle complex trapping and die-cut logistical nightmares who won't deal with coding.

obviously this is all due to having to think a little differently to enable what you want to do (visually).

so just keep that in mind, Gregory.

i have no problem learning code if i have to. i have dabbled a very small amount with html in the past. i am just looking to get going at this point. i am sure the look of the page will evolve as i put more time and effort into it.

tommsg.jpg

creepy

anyway... i was just saying that if he wants to have a flashly looking web site, fast, DW would be my suggestion.

basic code is not hard, and if you need ideas, peep the code on different sites you like ( right click on the page and go to "View Source" )

now all of you get off my nuts for saying "Dreamweaver"

In DW's defense , I think the whole "WYSIWYG editors make garbledygook code" is, while not totally a thing of the past, certainly less of a problem. I've made some stuff with whatever the Adobe version is, and a bit with Dreamweaver, and it wasn't *that* bad. Not as readable as well-organized hand written stuff - but a lot of people write slop by hand too :)

In any case, Dreamweaver *really shines* in the area of web publishing management, in that it keeps track of everything you've updated locally and makes sure you get it all sent to the server, etc. etc. Sure it's stuff that you can do yourself, but it's convenient to never forget the .gif file that you trimmed three pixels off the side of....

Also some WYSIWYGs have nice features for previewing your page under a lot of different browser renderers. Which is nice. Although it's not so much an issue as it used to be (thanks very much, M$)

there are plenty of text-editors that have those same preview options, too. as for the publication management, yeah that's cool n all, but I still hate their dense code.

my biggest complaint about those programs is this: sometimes when changing a page a fair amount, it leaves large remnants of unecessary code in the page. this sometimes causes the whole thing to freak out and will make you start over from scratch. they've probably gotten a lil' better on this since I last used those programs (i've used both GoLive and DW), but it still sucks.

but anyhow, to each their own. i'm anal about these things b/c it's my job.