Weird Ceiling

Apr 5, 2008
Washington
The place I'm moving my studio into has the HVAC ducts framed along the ceiling throughout the basement where I'm going to be putting my control and live rooms. There's also some other weird shit up there that I might be able to remove but would rather not, if possible. I'm going to do the usual superchunking/first reflections in control room/bass traps on parallel surfaces in the live room, but what should I do about the weird corners on the ceiling?

IMG_20101212_141835.jpg

IMG_20101212_141918.jpg

IMG_20101212_141842.jpg

I'm planning on throwing as many bass traps on the ceiling as I can afford since I'll have a reflective floor, but would it be worth it to sheet rock over the ducts or something to eliminate some of the 90 degree corners, and save me from having to make more acoustic panels? The ceiling is only 7.5 ft in the lowest spots, and about 8.5 where there's no ducting, so I don't have a lot of space to spare.

I'd get in there and test it out first. The height is probably your biggest issue, if it was a little higher it probably wouldn't need anything. My gut feeling is that all those little steps are probably not as square as they look and will probably diffuse more sound than you think. I'd be inclined to bass trap the big corners on the walls and dampen the walls as you suggested first, then get in there and do some experiments.

Looks like a cool room dude. I'm pretty jealous at this point.