Weird time signatures....

Cutter

Fuck consensus reality
Dec 19, 2001
Sydney
Visit site
hey all, I'm wondering if people can recommend some bands or songs with weird time signatures or slightly displaced beats...

Nevermore (The politics of ecstasy) - technical progressive thrash, LOTS of 5/4 and odd numbered bars... VERY unlike their new 'power metal' stuff.

Sceptic (Blind Existence, Pathetic Being)

Psychotic Waltz (A Social Grace, Into the everflow) - Technical Prog... especially check out 'And the devil cried'.

Decapitated (winds of creation) - Death metal with AWESOME guitar work, and strange time changes etc... especially check out the song 'winds of creation'

Don Cabellero - Crazy, catchy math rock, check out American Don (non-metal)
The Fucking Champs - Odd math metal, no bass, no vocals, uh...no limits?
Lethargy - Possibly the most technical hardcore band ever. The guys now play in Mastodon.
Mastodon - Not so much odd time oriented, but the best American band right now.
Knut - Basterdizer is the most fucked up CD I've ever heard, time signature wise. They don't really do much with that any more, but the music the play now is much better.
Extol, Gordion Knot, Drowningman, Overkill, Dysrhythmia, and old At The Gates all use odd time signatures at times too.

Also, for non-metal, check out Thelonoius Monk, The Cancer Conspiracy, some King Crimson, Karaboudjan (okay, thats metal, but I forgot it in my last post), Dysrhythmia isn't metal, Tomahawk has some odd parts, Keelhaul is REALLY mathy, and some Fates Warning but not much.

What about Messhugah (sp?)

'Chaos Sphere' is the only album I've heard properly, and it's totally 'math metal'.

You gota check out TANGAROA They have the maddest timings, there heavy-grindcore-blackmetal-deathmetal.... just had a double page spread in Kerrang! (pg 38+39), and they are great so listen to em on mp3.com... there's links for them on the website above, and also on the superb site www.rawnervepromotions.co.uk which was also featured in Kerrang!.... go on!!!!! It's worth it!! Let me know what you think!!!! :)

what about dream theater? their time sigs are changing all the time, especially scenes from a memory, that album ROOOOCCCKKKKKKKSSSSS

Originally posted by Opethfan1980

Also, you should check out Zero Hour. They are influenced heavily by Meshuggah but reside more in the progressive realm. Very strange time sigs, though.
I just checked out Zero Hour and, damn, their guitar and drumming is quite good...but of course I can't stand the vocalist. A damn shame...